Rod and Denise Nikkel

Center Finding T Square

This is a precision tool made out of stainless steel used for precise, symmetrical layouts. It is made so that using a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil straight up and down will make your marks precisely where you want them in relationship to the markings on the square.

1.JPG

You can start with the square and not only have a perfectly square T, but mark precise distances on either side of the vertical, and up the vertical with just one measurement.

2.JPG

It can be used to make a line totally perpendicular to one you already have laid out, and mark precise distances on either side of the vertical line.

3.JPG

The 90 degree square is square and can be used to make precise 90 degree angles using the 1/16” markings to get it perfectly lined up.

4.JPG

With this square you don’t need the center to be present to know you have your marks even on both sides.

5.JPG

I am looking both to see if there is much of a market for this, since it doesn’t seem that such a tool exists. Other than saddle tree makers, do any of you know of a situation where this type of tool would be well used? Do any of you want such a tool for your own use?

Back before the crash I asked a similar question and Regis was able to connect me with his son at American Precision Fabricators who made me a beautiful prototype. He is now willing to make a few of these if anyone wants them. Cost will depend a bit on how many I order due to the shipping, but will probably be in the $70.00 US range (these are precision made) plus shipping. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

post-1524-1208849055_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1208849074_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1208849094_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1208849114_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1208849133_thumb.jpg

I've owned center finding rules for years. They're used in wood and metal working, sewing, construction - all kinds of places. Mine get the most use when hanging art. I've never seen a center finding T-square, but quite honestly, don't see a need for one. I can't think of an instance in which both squaring and center-finding were needed at the same time. I actually prefer to have functions in dedicated tools. I typically use an un-marked square for squaring, for example. As to precision, when I need really precise measurements, I take them off markings in the center of the rule and don't use the ends. In other words, I'll start with "1" and not "0", so the manufacturing precision of the markings means less to me, again when combined with the squaring function.

Bill

Hi Denise,

I get zero center rulers from the printing supply house in sizes up to 96" and even bigger. A couple of triangles or squares off the ruler give you most anything you need, but those big squares (and t-squares) seem to get in the way a lot. I find the short based "draftsman's" t-square to be ok, but my machinist's squares get used the most, the biggest I have is a 12". Your centering T is probably good for your application and it is not uncommon in manufacturing to have single use tools. If I were to design it for myself, I would have a dropped foot with numbering on both sides so I could flip it over for applications where I didn't want the foot.

Art

This is a precision tool made out of stainless steel used for precise, symmetrical layouts. It is made so that using a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil straight up and down will make your marks precisely where you want them in relationship to the markings on the square.

1.JPG

You can start with the square and not only have a perfectly square T, but mark precise distances on either side of the vertical, and up the vertical with just one measurement.

2.JPG

It can be used to make a line totally perpendicular to one you already have laid out, and mark precise distances on either side of the vertical line.

3.JPG

The 90 degree square is square and can be used to make precise 90 degree angles using the 1/16” markings to get it perfectly lined up.

4.JPG

With this square you don’t need the center to be present to know you have your marks even on both sides.

5.JPG

I am looking both to see if there is much of a market for this, since it doesn’t seem that such a tool exists. Other than saddle tree makers, do any of you know of a situation where this type of tool would be well used? Do any of you want such a tool for your own use?

Back before the crash I asked a similar question and Regis was able to connect me with his son at American Precision Fabricators who made me a beautiful prototype. He is now willing to make a few of these if anyone wants them. Cost will depend a bit on how many I order due to the shipping, but will probably be in the $70.00 US range (these are precision made) plus shipping. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

... Mine get the most use when hanging art. ...

Just to be crystal clear, this was a reference to putting pictures on walls, and not a reference to the esteemed moderator of the same name! :rip_1:

Bill

I think I've been looking for something like this.

If I were to design it for myself, I would have a dropped foot with numbering on both sides so I could flip it over for applications where I didn't want the foot.

Showing my ignorance here, but that's OK. I have lots of that. Can you explain what you mean by "dropped foot"?

By the way, this one is 18" long and 9 1/2" tall.

Thanks, Denise

Hi Denise,

The bottom portion of the "T" is thicker and allows it to easily bear against the edge while the perpendicular portion lays flat on the surface, however the top of the perpendicular and "T" are flush, so you can flip it over and use it as a square on a flat surface.

Art

Showing my ignorance here, but that's OK. I have lots of that. Can you explain what you mean by "dropped foot"?

By the way, this one is 18" long and 9 1/2" tall.

Thanks, Denise

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

It seems that something like this would be useful in handbag, briefcase, satchel construction. I always labor over getting strap retainers to line up symmetrically. I have a method of measuring, marking and punching holes on the flesh side of the leather. A T square like this would easily save me time, though perhaps a zero centered ruler would be almost just as good.

Ed

Hi Denise,

The bottom portion of the "T" is thicker and allows it to easily bear against the edge while the perpendicular portion lays flat on the surface, however the top of the perpendicular and "T" are flush, so you can flip it over and use it as a square on a flat surface.

Art

Ah, I get it. I don't need that feature for any of the work I do so hadn't thought of it. All the T squares out there have that, but on both sides so they will never lay flat and that makes them useless for me. The disadvantage would be that you would then have to have the markings on both front and back of the square, and it is putting exact measurements on that is costly. Need to think about this more... Thanks Art!

Ed, try a center finding rule and see if it is good enough. If not, let me know.

Denise

... perhaps a zero centered ruler would be almost just as good.

As an FYI, center-finding rules come in two forms: those with a zero in the center, requiring you to line up matching marks on both sides; and those with two scales, one exactly 50% of the main scale. On the latter type, you use the full-scale measure across the item, and then find the same reading on the half-scale to get the center. The second type is adaptable to longer rules, like tape measures. Also, most architect and engineer scales can be used in this way, as they usually have a 50% proportional scale.

Bill