Sign in to follow this  
Chavez

Cutting & Punching Boards

Hi!

Can somebody please help me with a couple of questions about cutting boards?

I'm currently using a regular wooden cutting board for cutting & punching leather. As I'm soon going to order some dixon punches, I would prefer to buy a pro cutting board so I don't damage them, however I'm not sure what size to go for and whether to get a small punching block or a whole cutting board.

I've got the following choice:

Osborne nylon cutting block (round; 3" diameter & 1" thick).

Osborne vynil cutting pad 10x10x1/2 in.

Tandy "professional cutting board" 12x18x1 in.

The difference in price is quite big (£20, 40 & 90 correspondingly), so I'd be grateful for any feedback about these boards. Are they much better than just regular wooden boards for cutting? And is the tandy board worth the money?

Thanks!

I would get the bigger one. Take a look around at stores that sell kitchen supplies and see what they have in the cutting board line. That's where i get my cutting boards, their some type of plastic or nylon.

If you are worried about punches, dont hit them on a hard surface directly. Even a cutting board may damage them over time. I make sure I always have a "Poundo" board on top of my marble or table when I am using punches. Just something to think about

I wouldn't waste your money on the cutting boards branded specifically for leatherwork. They are way over priced. If you like the vinyl cutting mats, pick up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Healing-Green-Cutting-inches/dp/B0025189VE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1336950968&sr=8-7

If you like the poly cutting boards, look in your area for a plastics supplier and ask them for a sheet of HDPE, or order one below. Just pick the size that works for you. A new HDPE sheet is on my list to pick up the next time I have some extra money. I have an 18" x 24" cutting mat I use for most of my cutting and a small 6" x 6" HDPE sheet I use for punching, but I'd love a bench top sized sheet for punching, but also to set down and use for dying.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/Natural-Hdpe-Nsr-Sheet-HDPNE.php

Thanks!

Glendon, how do these mats react to punches? What are the chances of driving one through such a mat?

I am new to this forum so please forgive me for replying too late.

Consider it as my opinion.

I would advise a person to buy a nylon sheet of about an inch thick and the size you want. I will be expensive but if the surface get too ugly and full of cuts and grooves, and engineer can skim / mill it flat again, several times.

I am not sure about the right terminology. The hydraulic cutting press that stamp out leather with pre-made knives: The refurbished cutting board of it that is getting too thin (half an inch now) - I am using it at the moment. In more than a decade it was not yet needed to refurbish it yet.

Butcher supplies will also sell nylon meat cutting boards - the same ting.

Regards,

Johan

Edited by Jors

What about a lead block? I melted down fishing sinkers in a tin and left it to cool and popped it out when it was done.

Anything solid like metal would put ware on tools. Edges would get worn down or damaged a lot quicker. I would also assume that you would have to be a lot more careful about errors from tools bouncing. Really, you want something that will absorb the blow, both to protect the tool and to make sure that you get the most stable blow that you can.

I use a lead block for punching holes etc. for a year now and it works ok for me. Since lead is a very soft metal, it doesn't harm your punches which are of much harder steel. Only tool I had problems with was a cheap Tandy stitch hole punch (4 diamond holes in a row) the single punches bended but that had happened before too because that stuff is just cheap. I got the tip to use a lead block from a leather worker who is doing this for years now. Since he makes a living with leatherwork he's punching quiet a lot holes and I can't imagine why he should use a lead block when it's damaging his tools...

Greetings Jonathan