dikman

Thread Confusion

The title pretty well sums it up!! I recently ordered some "#69" thread. When it arrived I noticed that the spool is marked "210D", which I assume refers to Denier rating? I then spent some time looking at various conversion charts, and researching thread designations, and came away very confused!!!

So, what does "#69" mean? Does it refer to Tex sizing? If so, that doesn't convert to 210D. I also expected the thread to be thicker, as it doesn't look much different, size-wise, to ordinary cotton thread that I have.

And I thought needle sizing was confusing.

Threads V, T, Tkt, are the three ways of specifying them used here in the US and I just leave the rest of the world do what they are going to do.

Needle sizes are US (also Singer) and Metric (sometimes Nm). On these at least, the needle manufacturers today usually put both on the pack.

Now that this is clear to you, here is a Helpful Chart courtesy of Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial. Bob is also a needle collector and can track down or maybe even have any rare birds, so keep his number handy.

Art

Thanks Art (I think....). So, #69 refers to the Tkt size? Which equates to T70 (Tex), which in turn equals 630 Denier.

Ok, Here We Go,

The Denier (D or d) is the weight in grams of a 9000 meter strand of thread. V-69 thread is usually D-690 (690g per 9,000 meters).

Commercial (heavy weight) thread (V designation) indicates the Denier divided by 10.

Tex (T) is the weight in grams of 1000 meters of thread. V-69 is T-70, or sometimes Tex 70. Sometimes Denier divided by 9.

Tkt (ghod help us) is computed sometimes (1000/Tex Times 3), you work it out, I use charts, but V-69 is Tkt 40. (42 by calc).

Why your v-69 is D210 I ain't got a clue, but neither does most of us chickens. None of this is accurate, but must mean something to the manufacturers or they wouldn't put it on the cone.

Art

Well, I almost got it right......

Referring to the chart you provided, 69/T70 should measure .292 mm diameter, mine measures roughly .11 mm, so it definitely aint 69. I've contacted the seller to try and find out exactly what it is that they're selling.

Oh, and further searching came up with V also being used to indicate a higher UV resistance for the thread!

Oh, and further searching came up with V also being used to indicate a higher UV resistance for the thread!

I'm not sure I've ever read that before...do you have a link to where it says that please?

Gore Tenara is the thread that really is sun resistant (nothing is sunproof). It is good thread and I have always used it for canvas (or Sunbrella) applications. 1/2 lb runs around $100 or so, so it ain't cheap but it stays pliable for a long time, never seen it break or crumble like nylon or dacron. Stands up to salt water too. You can get it easily in V-92 and V-138, usually in black, white, and clear. With sunbrella available in so many colors, the clear blends with everything.

Art

25B, can't remember exactly where, as I've been searching far and wide trying to learn about sewing thread, but I seem to recall that it was to do with a sailmaking site. Gore Tenara is definitely something that I came across (odd name).

Well, until I see it from an authoritative source, not sure how much faith I'd put into that statement. The "V" is almost universally used when denoting thread sizes, i.e. V92, V69, etc. for many types of thread..bonded nylon, bonded polyester, Tenara, etc. Poly and Tenara are both more UV resistant than Nylon.

In that case I'm happy to cede to your greater knowledge/experience. All this is still new to me and as I said I've been doing lots of reading, trying to learn something. It's most likely, then, that I've mis-interpreted what I read. I definitely recall reading about a type of thread that was more UV resistant, and the way it was written I thought that the V referred to that aspect.

See, I've already learned something today :cheers: .

All of the more expensive threads (that is why you should only buy stuff that is marked) have a UV protectant as part of the coating or bonding. It is pretty good. Canvaswork I did in the '80s with nylon and polyester is still holding-up. I have a suite of North Sails from the '70s that are also in good shape, no sign of thread deterioration. Often I have seen the Right or Left designation (S or Z) used in place of the V.

Art

In that case I'm happy to cede to your greater knowledge/experience. All this is still new to me and as I said I've been doing lots of reading, trying to learn something. It's most likely, then, that I've mis-interpreted what I read. I definitely recall reading about a type of thread that was more UV resistant, and the way it was written I thought that the V referred to that aspect.

See, I've already learned something today :cheers: .

I really wasn't trying to be a jerk...but when someone proclaims something like that as truth, I ask to see the source to back it up for the benefit of others that come along later so that they won't learn wrong information.

I've been working with fabrics, thread, buckles, etc. since the early 90's, so when I read something like that, I usually notice. :)

No worries, 25b (I didn't, for one moment, think you were trying to be a jerk).

No worries, 25b (I didn't, for one moment, think you were trying to be a jerk).

Ok, that's good...thanks...sometimes things don't come across right over the computer. :)