Well this is the final one for this knife except for the resizing of the other sheath that was to long to grab the knife. I wanted him to try out both styles for me.

5oz leather doubled up for the back and front with a 8oz tapered welt. Used angelus dyes on this one, first coat was spice, then coffee on top of that. I sealed it with my neatsfoot/beeswax mix to see how that does. I use cordoven dye on all my edges followed by glycerine soap shaping and bees wax burnish.

Guess Ill see how it works once he gets ahold of it and plays around for a while. Originally I wasnt going to do the little strap keeper at the top but wasnt confident that the knife would stay put while hiking around and camping and such.

pancake style sheath front.jpg

pancake style sheath open.jpg

post-5781-127070633278_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127070634194_thumb.jpg

Very very cool. Nice job.

Butch

I really like the color. It seems like the kind of color effect that looks dark (almost black) at first blush, but can be affected dramatically by the lighting and and how closely you inspect it. Very cool. I wish I had more time to experiment with that kind of stuff.

What kind of thread did you use? I seems different (natural?) than the waxed nylon I got at Tandy.

Lance

Super nice -- I love the color and the design. And I think you made the right call by including the retaining strap.

Thanks guys

olliesrevenge the thread is barbours linen 6cord. I wax it myself and it is far easier to use then the prewaxed stuff atleast IMO. The color is a little more interesting in person, I dont have the setup right now to take very good photos but that is pretty representative of what it looks like indoors.

Heres the link to where you can find the thread if you want to try it out.

http://campbell-bosw...e2d4987195ad393

Edited by MADMAX22

Very nice construction...and good idea on the retention strap. Only thing I'm wondering about is, it looks like you have about 4" of handle riding above the belt line. Wonder how you're gonna like that. Of course, if it sits just at the right place, you may not feel it at all. Let me know please.

Rg

Will do Rayban. Its kind of why I built this one so that my buddy can try it out. Im making two crossdraw holsters for him, the other Im redoing but it goes right along the belt line. I want him to put both thru there paces and see which one he likes the best and pros or cons for each style.

Personally I wouldnt have a knife sheath on my back for most instances as resheathing the knife IMHO is a pain in the butt, however I guess with enough practice it may be different.

Guess well find out. He does alot of camping and hiking so should put them thru some pretty good use this summer hopefully.