Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

Hand Engraved Leather Using A Rotary Engraver

I like experimenting on leather with tools that are not usually used. I have a micromotor and handpiece, similar to what a dentist might use. I have been experimenting with lots of different burrs etc. Anyway, here is a piece i just finished. Not sure what to do with it. I was thinking of adding another circle with some more aztec figures and turning it into a clock

cheers for now

caroline

PS the mandala is about 18cm diameter.

post-4514-073575200 1302405813_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

Great Detail. What exactly did you use?

Total newbie.

God Bless, Ray

The tool is basically a rotary engraver...it rotates at 20000+ per minute...similar to a dremel but smaller, stronger and absolutely No vibration from the handpiece.

I used the laserprinter and acetone method to transfer the image to the leather.

post-4514-091396100 1302412744_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

that looks great, did you antique it?

I tried that several times with a dremel, but the engraved lines were not clean enough. They were kind of rough... That was the reason why i got into carving :)

When seeing yours, i want to try it again :)

Greetings,

Jonathan

hi jonathan, yes i did antique it. I had also tried the dremel but didnt get very good results...the micromotor is alot more precise and no hand vibration.

cheers

Leatheroo,

Nicely done. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Is a page from the Book of Kells next? smile.gif

BillB

I like it alot !! Making it into clock is a great ideal.

Billy, i had to google book of kells.....great artwork!!!!!!

Which type of bits did you use and thickness of leather? I've wondered myself about engraving with air tools (dentist grade) powercrafter and powercarver 400 (400,000 rpm's) setting at 45 on the air compressor.

I even have a router attachment for the powercrafter somewhere, haven't used it yet. Wish there was video or you tube on these subjects to use these no vibration tools on leather.

Your piece is great! I work in small scales 1/9th to 1/32" and that's what I've been wanting to learn if it can be done. How to go about starting it.

kim

I like experimenting on leather with tools that are not usually used. I have a micromotor and handpiece, similar to what a dentist might use. I have been experimenting with lots of different burrs etc. Anyway, here is a piece i just finished. Not sure what to do with it. I was thinking of adding another circle with some more aztec figures and turning it into a clock

cheers for now

caroline

PS the mandala is about 18cm diameter.

post-4514-073575200 1302405813_thumb.jpg

Leatheroo,

And to think it was done around 700AD using quill pins and candle light. Not sure what they used for a magnifying glass other than polished quartz.

Still, you did a fantastic job.

BillB

Kim i used a cone shaped bit with quite a round head. They all have 2.35mm shanks. I have a variety of bits, some are good and others just chew up the leather, it is just a matter of trying them out and seeing what result you get. i stayed away from the air type tool as the noise of a compressor drives me crazy...yes even the "silent" ones. This system is so quiet and no vibration and can be carried around so easily. As for the speed, i found if it was too high it was burning the leather, so i have mine on 25 which i think is 25000rpm. the leather i used was about 3mm thick but i have done this on thinner leather.

If i get time i might make a youtube video.

cheers

Hmm, guess I need to try and find that system for I'm sure this will burn it up at 400,000 rpm's. I can use tooling leather for after I carve, punch ext.. on it I dremel the back of the leather off, skive it that way. The room and everything in it is covered in leather dust, but I've found that to be the easiest way for me. My bit shanks are 1/8th and very small. But, it's excellent to engrave metal with it and will engrave the thin pie pans as ,long as you don't hold it in one spot long nor apply any pressure, it glides over it. But, the harder the metal the easiest it is to engrave, sorta like butter. But, I don't work in that scale, except to engrave tools with initials or names. Thank you for the info, and would like to see the youtube (when you get a chance to do one...I'll be looking up that system in the meantime).

o

Kim i used a cone shaped bit with quite a round head. They all have 2.35mm shanks. I have a variety of bits, some are good and others just chew up the leather, it is just a matter of trying them out and seeing what result you get. i stayed away from the air type tool as the noise of a compressor drives me crazy...yes even the "silent" ones. This system is so quiet and no vibration and can be carried around so easily. As for the speed, i found if it was too high it was burning the leather, so i have mine on 25 which i think is 25000rpm. the leather i used was about 3mm thick but i have done this on thinner leather.

If i get time i might make a youtube video.

cheers