Spinner

Fingercut Patterns

For those wanting patterns to practice fingercuts (aka those cool swivel knife cut only designs Hidepounder, King's X and others do) I found a huge library of free patterns on a metal engraving tool website so I thought I would share. I recognize one or two of the bird patterns from pieces that were posted here. Enjoy!

http://www.engravingschool.com/private/designs2.htm

Thanks, I really like some of those. I might try doing one of the birds tonight, just to see how much I can mess it up...

Bob

Great find!! Thanks for sharing!

How have I missed those before. I've spent a lot of time on their site. I'm pretty sure that all of those will be stored before the end of the day. That's exactly the kind of stuff I've been wanting to do more of because it's a lot quicker doing the full tooling job.

Glad to share. I stumbled across them while looking for an entry level starter set of hand engraving tools to play around with.

Way cool, thanks Spinner

entry level starter set of hand engraving tools to play around with.

I don't think there is one, but you can build. Send me a PM if you want some information on personal one on one classes from one of the best there is.

You can find more by searching for "calligraphy ornamentation" or "calligraphy ornaments".

Thanks for the link! +1 internets :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Back when ink quills, dip pens and then fountain pens were the standard it was called "flourishing" and can be found on many historical documents, bank notes, legal documents, dollar bills, etc. Some of us older folks can even remember when animated flourishing was done during or at the end of cartoons. Dover publishing has at least 3 books available with the history behind it and hundreds of great illustrations.

Another form of this type of art that I found very interesting is pinstriping. As the flourishing art started dying off in the 20's and 30's the paint brush artists picked it up and started putting it on cars which then led to motorcyles and now it's almost impossible to find and OTR truck not striped out. Two of the great pinstripers of my younger days were " The Hangman" and "Rat Fink". Can't ever forget your first hot car.

Edited by pabloz

I don't think there is one, but you can build. Send me a PM if you want some information on personal one on one classes from one of the best there is.

Thanks Thrasher, I actually picked up individual tools from Contenti.com to try out. Didn't want to spend too much in case it doesn't take but should be interesting as I have a background in pointilism drawing and scratchboard art using quill and pen as well as woodcarving, pyrography and leather carving.

I also have a decent stock of copper, brass, aluminum and titanium sheets in various thicknesses to play with. I wouldn't mind the info on classes though in case it goes somewhere and I want to take the next step.

RightOn Spinner.

Thanks for the leads.

Good luck with your own next diversion. ;-)

RightOn Spinner.

Thanks for the leads.

Good luck with your own next diversion. ;-)

Thanks Paul, hoping to learn well enough to be able to add metal inlay pieces to my lineup and maybe conchos later on. As always, new hobbies are fun because of the discovery phase even if they don't go anywhere. ;)