WyomingSlick

Leathercraft Books In Non-English ?

Some recent discussion on here got me to wondering:

Have any of the many leathercraft manuals, books, videos, etc that we all enjoy in the englsh language been translated into other languages for use by non-english speaking/reading users?

I did some searching on the net, and did see that there seem to be several leatherwork guides in Japanese, but they are works of Japanese origin, and not translations of English works. Any english translations of them?

Does anybody know if Tandy/LF has made any moves in this direction? Seems like a potential market for those that hold the copyrights to the many books availible in english.

I even wondered if anyone has had much success in using translation programs with leathercraft manuals. Considering some of the manuals that I have read which were originally in other languages, and then translated to confusing, and sometimes gibberish english, I am somewhat dubious of how well translation programs would work with our subject matter.

INPUT ? ? ?

I haven't seen any of the English books translated, nor have I seen any of the other ones translated over to English. I've got a few of the Japanese and German books and it sure would be nice to be able to read them instead of just looking at the pictures. I tried to covert one of the German pdfs through a few online translator tools and they were too large for the webpages to handle.

Edited by olds cool

If you want I can give you the French situation. I haven't seen any English classic books (i.e. Al Stohlman, F.O Baird...) translated in French and as far as I'm concern, I can read easily English resources. We have a few modern French book about leather-craft but not so much. However we have a publisher who is specialized in re-publishing old crafting manuals (for leather of course but also for wood, blacksmithing, jewelery ...) from 1850-1930 which are goldmines.

That was my two cents.

The Japanese ones are the best. Wish I could read them... Japan hasbthe highest standard of leather work.. They are true craftsmen and perfectionist because in the 70's all Japanese leather craft was crap... The world would make fun of them.. so they pulled it together to be in the top 3 leather manufactures worldwide today.

Howdy! My two cents worth. If you want a good book about braiding, go to Amazon and get Enrique O. Capone's book. It is titled" Rawhide and Leather Braiding" and is available in English and Spanish. There are many other books in Spanish available. I am sorry that I can't help with other languages. Stan