DavidL

Backside Of Saddle Stitch Comes Out Different On Every Project.

The leather I'm using is 2.5oz calf leather, thread is .8mm tiger thread and stitching 7spi. Front side of the leather the stitching looks fine, however on the backside the stitches change from straight to slanted. Im not sure what is making the stitches change from project to project but one project can have slanted stitches on the back and the other the stitches on the back will be straight. Any tips will be great.

My guess is that the thread on the backside is going through the loop. This will make it run straight instead of the slight angle of the saddle stitch. I have to pay attention or it happens to me.

i keep the thread over the back loop, yet the stitch looks very straight not zig zagged. Hopefully one day il get this saddle stitch perfect.

If you wrap the thread on the backside around the needle (to create a overhandknot) it might depend on the direction. If you stitch right handed with left hand priority (so you push the right needle through the whole after (and over) the left one) you gotta wrap the thread around the needle in counter clockwise direction to get a slanted stitching line. If you do it clockwise you´ll get the straight line with slanted wholes which looks just not right. If you stitch in another way (right hand priority or sth else) you might want to have a look how you have to change the direction to get the right look.
Two other things that might help (personal feeling) is not to pull it too tight and to pull a little into the right direction (if the thread should lay on the bottom, pull a bit to the bottom, top to the top...) But as I can see in a lot of videos, that that second point shouldn´t be neccesary.
Good luck with your stitching ;)

If you wrap the thread on the backside around the needle (to create a overhandknot) it might depend on the direction. If you stitch right handed with left hand priority (so you push the right needle through the whole after (and over) the left one) you gotta wrap the thread around the needle in counter clockwise direction to get a slanted stitching line. If you do it clockwise you´ll get the straight line with slanted wholes which looks just not right. If you stitch in another way (right hand priority or sth else) you might want to have a look how you have to change the direction to get the right look.

Two other things that might help (personal feeling) is not to pull it too tight and to pull a little into the right direction (if the thread should lay on the bottom, pull a bit to the bottom, top to the top...) But as I can see in a lot of videos, that that second point shouldn´t be neccesary.

Good luck with your stitching ;)

I stitch with the left needle in first then the right needle overtop of the left needle and on the top of the holes that the right thread goes over the backside thread. Just to be clear when you say wrap the thread in clockwise direction that you are saying move the back loop over the thread? Thanks for the reply.

you are saying move the back loop over the thread?

right, but try do it counter-clockwise (not clockwise) and have a look at the backside. It should work.

As you describe your way of stitching you say that your right thread goes over the left one "on the top of the holes". So for the front side everything is perfect, but on the backside you have the same holes ( / / / / ) in a inverted way ( \ \ \ \ \ ). So you try to make the thread to go from the top of the first (left) hole to the bottom of the second one. And there is the point where the thread gos to the middle of the hole and drives you crazy ;) But as I said before: don´t pull to tight (or try it just to see what happens ;) )

you are saying move the back loop over the thread?

right, but try do it counter-clockwise (not clockwise) and have a look at the backside. It should work.

As you describe your way of stitching you say that your right thread goes over the left one "on the top of the holes". So for the front side everything is perfect, but on the backside you have the same holes ( / / / / ) in a inverted way ( \ \ \ \ \ ). So you try to make the thread to go from the top of the first (left) hole to the bottom of the second one. And there is the point where the thread gos to the middle of the hole and drives you crazy ;) But as I said before: don´t pull to tight (or try it just to see what happens ;) )

I played around with the back loop with every variation and they make the back better, at a loss of the slant on the front stitches. I believe throwing the stitch is what I'm missing.

Pictures attached will show how i stitch, please advise the technique of throwing the loop, I'm confused. I don't think I'm throwing the back loop over the thread at all because the two threads do not touch in the middle.

Appreciate the link, I've seen it a bunch of times, Nigel really is very good isn't he?

post-34060-0-03177200-1396306138_thumb.j

post-34060-0-01214300-1396306143_thumb.j

post-34060-0-05302800-1396306156_thumb.j

Appreciate the link, I've seen it a bunch of times, Nigel really is very good isn't he?

if you've seen the video a bunch of times what's not making sense? he shows very explicitly exactly how to stitch correctly. it's easy enough even i can understand it and i'm apparently quite stupid. lol

Not too sure. Front side looks great, backside not so much. My technique matches his, but it could be how i pull the stitches or most likely the leather. Since moving from chrome tanned to veg tan my stitches looked better, yet not how i have imagined.