ok guys and gals! Firstly, can ya'll post some pictures of knife sheaths you have done? I don't carry knives very often so I am not super familiar with them. All varieties are well! Also, what is the best thickness of leather to make these out of? I make all my holsters out of 7-8. Is that to thick? i have some 5-6. Lets see all the amazing works of art!!

Thanks everyone!! You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

ok guys and gals! Firstly, can ya'll post some pictures of knife sheaths you have done? I don't carry knives very often so I am not super familiar with them. All varieties are well! Also, what is the best thickness of leather to make these out of? I make all my holsters out of 7-8. Is that to thick? i have some 5-6. Lets see all the amazing works of art!!

Thanks everyone!! You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Big O,

Most sheaths are made from7/8 or 9/10 oz leather depending on the type of knife and its intended use. I have posted several knives and their sheaths here and will post two more tonight.

Regards,

Instead of reposting the pics, look in my gallery photos. The big knife there has a 10 inch blade, and the sheath is set up for MOLLE attachment. The sheath is 7/8 with a 7/8 welt, the photo of the edge is a bit blurry, but you can see the thickness pretty well. If it helps with perspective, that's 277 thread on about 6 spi.

I have quite a few in my Gallery as well.For folders and real small knives you can use 5-6 oz, but for most fixed blades I use 7-8 or 9-10 oz..I use a combination of sizes when doing inlays.Dave

I have made a few sheaths out of 7-8 oz leather and a couple out of lighter leather... alot has to do with the size of the knife and what it's being used for.

100_1016.jpg

100_0961.jpg

100_0953.jpg

100_0958.jpg100_0851.jpg

Thanks guys!

What do you do to ensure the knife doesn't cut the stitching?

Thanks

There's a third layer of leather between the top and the bottom. It's called a welt. It protects the stitching.

There's a third layer of leather between the top and the bottom. It's called a welt. It protects the stitching.

You can look in my gallery for a few. The fixed blade has the welt as mentioned and it's lined with goat skin to keep the snap from contacting the blade.