Made this for my fiance's Dad as a Christmas present. This was my first attempt at a sheath like this and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. I had to come up with an excuse to get the knife from him so I took several of his knives and told him I'd sharpen them for him. hahaha I'd like to say thanks to some of the members here for posting their quick draw sheaths, they were the inspiration for this one. These pictures are terrible, and one thing that I am really disappointed in is one of the initials I messed up because when I stamped it the letter stamp jumped a bit and messed it up. But I'm sure he'll still like it.

Chris

post-15942-053943300 1291180851_thumb.jp

post-15942-092088900 1291180861_thumb.jp

post-15942-071515200 1291180878_thumb.jp

post-15942-011012500 1291180889_thumb.jp

I am just a bit confused on the design....you're intentionally running the blade across a metal rivet, right? That will do one of two things, possibly both. It will dull the knife, and/or the repeated actions will cut the rivet in half (yes, b/c steel is harder than brass). It's an interesting idea, and I could see it working if you had nylon thread-and-post connectors in place of the rivets. While the knife would eventually cut that in half as well, it'd be easier to replace when it happens.

The leather looks good, and kudos for trying out a new design.

That design has been around since the 70's IIRC, pretty much a novelty and not very practical even somewhat dangerous to the user.Its also illegal in some states.Your work looks pretty good just a gimic design that doesn't work very well.Dave

I have used this design before. I have an Uncle who only has one arm due to a hunting accident a few years ago and he's never without a knife. He didn't want to carry a straight blade since the one arm is useless and he has a heck of a time catching himself if he falls. It's a pretty nice design if done correctly and for the right reasons. The blade actually doesn't touch the metal rivet. The rivet runs through a nylon spacer and that is what the blade hits and opens up on. It keeps it from dulling and scratching.

Frank

I am just a bit confused on the design....you're intentionally running the blade across a metal rivet, right? That will do one of two things, possibly both. It will dull the knife, and/or the repeated actions will cut the rivet in half (yes, b/c steel is harder than brass). It's an interesting idea, and I could see it working if you had nylon thread-and-post connectors in place of the rivets. While the knife would eventually cut that in half as well, it'd be easier to replace when it happens.

The leather looks good, and kudos for trying out a new design.

No the rivet has a bushing around it so that it doesn't touch the metal rivet. My first choice would have been a chicago screw, but I didn't have any.

That design has been around since the 70's IIRC, pretty much a novelty and not very practical even somewhat dangerous to the user.Its also illegal in some states.Your work looks pretty good just a gimic design that doesn't work very well.Dave

Yeah I know it's been around a good while. But sometimes we have to make something for the fun of it. Luckily they aren't illegal here in my state, at least not from what I saw in the state knife laws. I'm a bit confused by the "gimic design that doesn't work very well" part though. Seems to work really well to me. Again, it was something that I made because I saw it in another post here and I thought it would be a fun project.

Chris

Yeah I know it's been around a good while. But sometimes we have to make something for the fun of it. Luckily they aren't illegal here in my state, at least not from what I saw in the state knife laws. I'm a bit confused by the "gimic design that doesn't work very well" part though. Seems to work really well to me. Again, it was something that I made because I saw it in another post here and I thought it would be a fun project.

Chris

Chris, no problem with making stuff for the fun of it,I do it all the time.I just feel that having to partially open a folding knife to make this work is pointless.You want speed carry an auto or a fixed blade.I gave up carrying a large folder years ago in favor of a fixed blade and would not go back. As for the one armed man, I believe a fixed blade, auto or even a friction folder would work better than a standard folding knife.One of my customers uses a friction folder and has only one arm, and he loves it.Dave

Edited by DCKNIVES

Chris, no problem with making stuff for the fun of it,I do it all the time.I just feel that having to partially open a folding knife to make this work is pointless.You want speed carry an auto or a fixed blade.I gave up carrying a large folder years ago in favor of a fixed blade and would not go back. As for the one armed man, I believe a fixed blade, auto or even a friction folder would work better than a standard folding knife.One of my customers uses a friction folder and has only one arm, and he loves it.Dave

Yeah I carry an assisted opening knife myself, but I also have a Buck 110 that I'd like to make a case like this for. They are fun to make, look neat, and are just interesting in how they work. But this particular project came about because of several reasons. One I'd seen them on here by others and thought it would be fun, and two I thought it would be nice if he had a sheath for his old lockblade and I thought it was a perfect opportunity to make one. With Christmas coming up and money being really tight this year a lot of people are going to be getting handmade leather items from me for presents.

I like this, I am sure he will like it. I really like the design, if you could post the pattern that would be great.

Looks great! I think that design is pretty cool. Really good job with the basketweave and border! What did you use for the border?:You_Rock_Emoticon:

-jerry

I like this, I am sure he will like it. I really like the design, if you could post the pattern that would be great.

I'll try and find a good way to get the pattern into the computer, may take me a little while though.

Chris

Looks great! I think that design is pretty cool. Really good job with the basketweave and border! What did you use for the border?:You_Rock_Emoticon:

-jerry

it's a rope stamp from tandy. I don't remember the number right off hand.

Chris

Thanks a million

I'll try and find a good way to get the pattern into the computer, may take me a little while though.

Chris

it's a rope stamp from tandy. I don't remember the number right off hand.

Chris

Thanks a million

I could just scan it, but I'm not sure how to get it sized so that when it's printed it will be accurate. Ideally I'd like to be able to scan it, put it into a pdf and then you could just print it, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get it sized right.

I could just scan it, but I'm not sure how to get it sized so that when it's printed it will be accurate. Ideally I'd like to be able to scan it, put it into a pdf and then you could just print it, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get it sized right.

make a copy of it first, then just add it as an attachment like you do an email, or just send it to those of us that think it rocks in an e mail. i think its cool I just cant figure out how it works, but my brain is mush today anyway.

Peace

Bryan

I made another one of those quick draw sheaths, this time patterned specifically for the Buck 110, but it's a tad bigger than what it needs to be so I put this one up for sale and I'm going to re-pattern it. But I like the way it turned out. The belt loop on this one has a hole on both sides so the concho can be switched from side to side depending on how it's going to be worn.

Chris

post-15942-072085100 1292288476_thumb.jp

post-15942-039410100 1292288485_thumb.jp

post-15942-063431900 1292288491_thumb.jp

post-15942-090178900 1292288503_thumb.jp

post-15942-082934000 1292288515_thumb.jp

post-15942-078587800 1292288528_thumb.jp

Chris,

Great job I like everything about the 110 sheath. i just purchased a 110 and want to make a quick draw for it. any chance you would sell me the pattern?

kindest

Tadhg

There is an article with patterns in it for the Buck 100 knife by Bill Churchill.  It is at the PSLAC website in their Member Only section ( http://pslac.org/table_index_member.htm ) near the bottom at: ( http://pslac.org/member/01_jan98b.pdf )  I'm sorry that PSLAC has a Member Only section, but that it how they support their website without monitary support from any sponsors.  They do have leather sponsors, but they only offer discounts to PSLAC members when purchasing leather products.

BTW way there is a monthly newsletter The RawHide Gazette that is in their Public section.  Please see: http://pslac.org/table_index_rawhide.htm

Hope this helps.

Bob, thanks for that link to the newsletter, I bookmarked it so that I can start working through back issues. Looks good!

I put the pattern in the patterns section the other day. This is the pattern I used to make the 110 sheath above. I also use a piece of delrin tubing over the rivet so as to prolong the edge of the blade, rather than having it run along the rivet itself. Enjoy

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

quick draw sheath.pdf