I have been admiring many of the holsters that I've seen posted on this site. In particular, I've really like the two tone "snapcake" holsters that Ran has produced for the 1911. They are really attractive and very well executed. Having some spare time and a little leather, I decided to try one based of his style for my personal S&W Shield. Lest you are thinking I'm stealing his design - I have no intention of producing this holster for sale. It is for my own personal use.

His holsters may look simple, but they are a little more challenging than I had expected. I've changed a couple of design features to fit my needs, but I tried to retain his style. Thanks Ran, for providing a design worth emulating.

post-40965-0-88347300-1388354913_thumb.j

post-40965-0-93952300-1388354954_thumb.j

Ran certainly makes beautiful holsters. Unfortunately, here is a bunch of people that beat you in copying Ran's style

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=owb+snap+on+holsters&qpvt=owb+snap+on+holsters&FORM=IGRE

Very nice! And your first holster? :notworthy:

Ummm.... Not quite the first one, but the first of this particular style. It was fun, and I got to try a couple of new techniques.

Nice work!

Ran certainly makes beautiful holsters. Unfortunately, here is a bunch of people that beat you in copying Ran's style

http://www.bing.com/...sters&FORM=IGRE

Um, I dont think Ran invented this style lol.

That is a very nice holster Supercub! The only leather gear I've made that was snap on OWB like that is a few single and double mag pouches, but I want to make a holster soon.

Ran does great work, but the snap on OWB is not a new design. If I remember right, it was the late Lou Alessi who first designed the snap on OWB. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. Just for clarification, I didn't mean to imply that the "snapcake" holster was anything new or unusual, or that Ran was the originator. I've made more than a few of them of various types over the years. This time, I tried to copy Ran's style of two tone finish with a decorative reinforcing patch. My usual snapcake style is a flat back with a double layer front of two pieces of 4/5oz bonded together. Sorta like this one:post-40965-0-40517600-1388421185_thumb.j

We know what you mean. Feel that tug on your leg?

That is a very nice holster Supercub! The only leather gear I've made that was snap on OWB like that is a few single and double mag pouches, but I want to make a holster soon.

Ran does great work, but the snap on OWB is not a new design. If I remember right, it was the late Lou Alessi who first designed the snap on OWB. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Paul

It was Bruce Nelson with his 'Patriot' holster. Lou and Matt simultaneously started working on their own versions at the same time (unbeknownst to each other at that time).