Sign in to follow this  
Schno

Doomcycle!

I've just arrived home from Burning Man. It was, as always, quite an experience. For those that are unfamiliar with Burning Man, check out the Burning Man Website.

Getting around at Burning Man requires some kind of wheels, and unless you've gone through a lot of trouble and expense to build an 'art car', that means that you're best bet is a bicycle. And since you run the risk of getting run down at night by a random triceratops or giant fire crested duck, it's best to engineer some lighting on your bike.

DSC03240.JPG

For my purposes, I used electroluminescent wire and a leather harness for it.

DSC03243.JPG

A little leather... some spikies, some O rings and voila!

DSC03242.JPG

A Pirate Approved Spikey Chopped Out Burning Man Doomcycle from Hell... or the San Fernando Valley, at least.

elwire.jpg

Here it is, all lit up like Christmas.

And in case you didn't believe me about the triceratops...

bmtri.jpg

post-6744-1220887242_thumb.jpg

post-6744-1220887304_thumb.jpg

post-6744-1220887418_thumb.jpg

post-6744-1220887582_thumb.jpg

post-6744-1220887973_thumb.jpg

Oh now I get to see the whole of it! That's a badass wicked ride!!! I want one!!!

Tom

HEHE, Tom!

I am actually on the website about to push purchase, trying to decide if I should talk to the wife first or just ask for forgiveness once it gets here. :unsure:

That is one wicked ride!!!

OK, I've been to the site...I still don't get it! What is Burning Man?

Taken from wikipedia (link):

Burning Man is an annual event held in the Black Rock Desert, in Northern Nevada. The event starts on the Monday before, and ends on the day of, the American Labor Day holiday. It takes its name from the ritual burning of a large wooden effigy on Saturday evening. The event is described by many participants as an experiment in community, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance. Organizers have noted, "Trying to explain what Burning Man is to someone who has never been to the event is a bit like trying to explain what a particular color looks like to someone who is blind."

The event is organized by Black Rock City, LLC. In 2008, 49,599 people participated in The Burning Man Project

I was one of those 49,599 :)

i know on a crusier bike like that...you shouldn't need to worry about slippin a petal...those spikes on the upper frame towards the neck...just make me cringe at the thought of impaling my jewels :head_hurts_kr: (flash backs from the days of bmx'n & one bad malfunction i had mtn bikin) lol

other than that the creativeness aspect is cool B)

darryl

Fortunately, the layout of the bike is such that being thrown (painfully) forward is actually very unlikely. Believe me, if it were otherwise, there's no way I'd have dropped spikes into the landing zone!

The OCC Schwinns are very heavy bicycles....at least for kids....but for an adult with stronger legs, they can be a lot of fun....especially decked out like this one.

Nice work.

Dave

Since we're on the subject here is my attempt to go green, save gas, and get healthy, they sure didn't have cup holders when I was a youngster. I am studying my minds eye to visualize some leather accoutrement's, gotta bring home the groceries after the mandatory stop at Starbucks, dang them for puttin one so close to the house.

P9070043.JPG

P9070044.JPG

P9070045.JPG

P9070046.JPG

post-4868-1220921094_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1220921113_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1220921129_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1220921147_thumb.jpg

thats a sweet ride ya got thier jordan...diggin the white walls ;0)...well definately a custom cruiser seat would rock on it...

darryl

Figgered if I was gonna ride one might as well look cool huffin and Puffin down the road, 3speed does make it a lot easier, I'm thinkin saddlebags, seat, handgrips with tassles and maybe a center bag shaped like a gas tank. Electra makes them and they look pretty good.

cool bike Schno! we will have to get together so I can see all the pictures from burning man!

Great looking bike. I'd be proud to mob around on that.

Sweet ride! What tool did you use for the backgrounder on that main "tank" piece? Is it a pebbler? If so, where did you buy it? I'm having a hard time finding some good backgrounders that aren't your typical Crafttool patterns......

heyyy that´s a really cool bike... It seems similar to "the bike I would like to have, but I´ve never seen before"

I´m happy to see creative and new things :)

congrats!

F.-