Roger J

Cutting Leather At Angle To Create Retention Lip On Pouch?

Quite a mouthful I know, but this picture should help clear things up:

pouch_zpsac6b36fe.png

Notice that the leather of lid and body is cut at an angle to "lock" in place when closed.

I'm guessing that they probably use some type of press, and I don't think I could do this cleanly with just a knife.

Is there a special technique or affordable tool that would help one accomplish this?

my guess, and its only a guess is that the piece of leather was flat first and a round cut was made. He then wet moulded both pieces into a circle. The curve comes from the two pieces bending into that circle shape. So imagine a line and it is cut then both pieces are joined and molded, the angle where the two pieces meet will still be touching but the angle will be changed. I could be wrong, it may have been moulded then cut. I would email him and ask him, he may be incline to give away the process.

Edited by DavidL

You can put it on edge and cut it with a band saw.

Tree Reaper has the right idea.

I would first mold the pocket, half circle, pouch, . . . whatever you call it.

Add the fastener and all the snaps, . . . glue and sew it to it's base, . . . making the thing all done except for the final cutting.

Then I would stain the thing and get at least one good coat of resolene on it, . . . making sure it is dry as can be.

Then I would cut out the lid, . . . but I would use a coping saw, . . . but that is me, . . . band saws are too fast for my reflexes.

You could then touch up the edges of the cut pieces with dye and more resolene.

Good luck, . . . looks like an interesting project.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys.

Bandsaw: not a bad idea as the blade goes only in one direction and they do make 1/8" blades with 32 TPI. All I have right now are 1/2" 3TPI rip blades...it would be a bit rough.

Coping saw: I had thought the back and forth movement of the blade might give a ragged edge to the leather. I'll see if I can adapt some ultra fine scrollsaw blades to fit my coping saw.

I would email him and ask him, he may be incline to give away the process.

Might end up doing that, but it would feel kinda weird, like asking a chef for his secret recipe.