Schpacko

How To Make This Type Of Belt

Hey guys

So a costumer wants a belt like this:

o0zA7.jpg

How would you attach this flap to the rest of the belt? To me, it looks like it has been attached on three positions:

First with the stitiching line in the middle of the belts width (hidden by the strap that holds the D-Ring).

Second and third, whit the stitchings that cross the edge of the belt, very close to the buckle.

What do you think?

Any ideas how this type of belt is called, so maybe i can find some more pictures?

looks like a variation of a Ranger belt, Look that up and see if that is what you are talking about...

what is this belt used for?

tk

tk

As far as i know, the guy uses it just as a regular belt to wear with jeans. He just likes the look oft it.

tk

Looks more like a tool belt to me. It looks more functional than decorative. It could be a gunbelt. Hard to tell the way the pic is cropped.

I believe it is stitched along with the buckle, but I wouldn't do it that way. The way it is stitched, the stitching may rip through the leather at the buckle where most of the stress will be. (did that make sense?) I would prefer a combination of rivets and stitching, and I would have the rivets for the buckle only secure the buckle and another set of rivets/stitches for the flap. The flap is there to protect against the roller buckle trying to pinch skin/clothing when tightening the belt.

I reckon the flap part (under the buckle) has a slot in it running the width of the belt. That way the belt flap goes around the buckle and into the slot then gets sewn (buy hand) back and around like the picture. May as well sew the keeper into place as well.

It makes no difference what the belt is for.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way down under"

Hey guys

So a costumer wants a belt like this:

o0zA7.jpg

How would you attach this flap to the rest of the belt? To me, it looks like it has been attached on three positions:

First with the stitiching line in the middle of the belts width (hidden by the strap that holds the D-Ring).

Second and third, whit the stitchings that cross the edge of the belt, very close to the buckle.

What do you think?

Any ideas how this type of belt is called, so maybe i can find some more pictures?

Do you have a picture of the back?

I would love to see how that was done, . . . looks like a very interesting design.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Do you have a picture of the back?

I would love to see how that was done, . . . looks like a very interesting design.

May God bless,

Dwight

No, unfortunately i dont.

Cheers

Schpacko

Hi the flap or chape is to stop the buckle rubbing and is often used in bridlework and harness. The flap is normally solid and stitched to the rest of the strap at the same time with the end of the fold back on the strap being feathered so a large lump is not formed when the two layers at the back end, for neatness. I have never found any weakness using this method as the weakest point is normally where the crew hole is punched for the buckle tongue and I never rivet anything as this its self weakens the leather in the same way as punching the crew hole. The centre row os stitching can help to keep the back piece flat on wider straps or if extra strength as in english stirrup leathers. I hope this is of some help.

This looks like a US Army belt.There is a company that use these surplus belts to create trendy belts.Try to Google: Dukes Belts.You will see plenty of details of these belts.Chris

This looks like a US Army belt.There is a company that use these surplus belts to create trendy belts.Try to Google: Dukes Belts.You will see plenty of details of these belts.Chris

Awesome, thanks a lot. I just found out that this auctually is a Dukes Belt.

--> hundreds of pictures but i cant find i single one that shows the backside :(

A quick google image search turned up this picture, which shows that the flap is lap-skived and stitched on.

Quick Update

This is how my belt turned out:

d4jEA.jpg

rmh6U.jpg

fMU56.jpg

As you can see, i just stiched the flap along with the buckle fold.

I am "kinda happy" with the result. I'm not completely satisfied with my stitching work, but most of all, i'm pretty p*ssed that i stitched the keeper loop a little bit crooked, which is pretty eye-catching in the first picture....

But over all, it's not that bad, i guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Schpacko

Very Nice!

Nice job! I don't think the stitching is bad!

Really nice, I am unsure what the small d ring is for? It looks kinda cool but is there a reason?

Quick Update

This is how my belt turned out:

d4jEA.jpg

rmh6U.jpg

fMU56.jpg

As you can see, i just stiched the flap along with the buckle fold.

I am "kinda happy" with the result. I'm not completely satisfied with my stitching work, but most of all, i'm pretty p*ssed that i stitched the keeper loop a little bit crooked, which is pretty eye-catching in the first picture....

But over all, it's not that bad, i guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Schpacko

Nice job on the belt. They're kinda cool looking, but other than looks, what's the loop with the D-ring for? I wouldn't think anyone would want to hang keys there? If they were military belts, was it some kind of military function?

Bobby

Nice job on the belt. They're kinda cool looking, but other than looks, what's the loop with the D-ring for? I wouldn't think anyone would want to hang keys there? If they were military belts, was it some kind of military function?

Bobby

Thanks. As far as i know, the loop with the ring was originally used to attach a sabre to the belt. Nowadays, the guys actually do attach their keys, or a chain for the wallet.