Sign in to follow this  
Ferg

Edge Burnishing

This little tool would be easy for anyone to make that has a drill press. Please do not try to hold a Hand Drill and use this.

Tool is primarily to show how most anyone on this site can make a Burnisher to let them see how easy any of the fine

wooden burnishers several of you are making can be used. Feel free to add any and all additions/comments.

Oak is a good wood to burnish most any soft material since it is relatively abrasive. You could apply paraffin or beeswax to the spindle I suppose, I didn't try that yet.

Lowe's has a bin with dowels and a few finials. This little guy was really expensive, two for $1.88. I used a rat tail file measuring 3/16" to 5/16" in the fat part to increase/round the already turned areas of the finial. You could make the groove whatever size you need. DO NOT press real hard, you might break the screw bolt chucked into the drill.

Since I haven't figured out how to get my images into this site as yet I simply done a little web page with the photos.

I am sure someone will have questions, maybe about my sanity but fire away.

Site Address: http://www.namepuzzles4kids.com/burnishing.html

The attachment doesn't work either so just access the web page above.

ferg

burnishing.html

Edited by 50 years leather

Ferg, just a question......when chucked up does the finial run true? ie. is the threaded portion actually centered? I tried to do something similar a while ago and found that when chucked up, the fool thing bounced pretty badly. I messed with it some then gave up on it, figuring that if I purchased more they'd all be somewhat off-center. Went back to my old hand burnisher that I cut and sanded to shape from a piece of oak from an old desk drawer lots of years ago. Thanks...Mike

Mike,

I didn't have a problem with that. It may have been slightly off center but the file trued the space just fine..

ferg