Sign in to follow this  
SmilinJim

A 3 legged stool and bracelets

My first collapseable camp stool. Couldn't find a lot of info on doing it so its sorta rough. A pic of my version of the tri-bolt. I used a piece of plastic in the center of the eyebolts to stabilize. Also a couple of braided bracelets. Did the one with snaps first and didn't like the look so I just did a solid braid around.

Give me some feedback on the stool, what's the correct way to make the pockets? Any help is appreciated.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

P5032564.JPG

P5032567.JPG

P5042570.JPG

P5042572.JPG

P5042573.JPG

P5042573.JPG

P5042575.JPG

post-41-1241543220_thumb.jpg

post-41-1241543236_thumb.jpg

post-41-1241543255_thumb.jpg

post-41-1241543271_thumb.jpg

post-41-1241543288_thumb.jpg

post-41-1241543303_thumb.jpg

post-41-1241543319_thumb.jpg

That is a great stool!

I don't believe there is a 'correct' way to do the corners, Jim - but you may find a couple of ways that don't work.

The design and carving is great and the colours are just right for the job. Nice work. Wish I could do that lacing...

Ray

Me too ray...I've got my pattern cut out for my three legged stool but I'm trying to figure out a braiding pattern to braid mine similar to the way this one is done. Of course I won't be doing all that tooling, I'd screw up too badly.

What size lace did you use for your braid?

Did you sew then braid around the sewing or will the braid be strong enough to hold a person?

David

That's a brilliant way to make the tri-bolt. I don't think it could be easier for someone without welding skills. Two questions: what do the legs look like without the leather on them? Are they rounded off or tapered so they do not poke through the leather?

Good job! Nice bracelets too.

Cheers,

Andy

I've also just cut out the pattern for my stool today, but it seems so small to me... The sides are 300mm/12" and for the corners I made them 100mm/4" (these sizes were mentioned in another 3 legged stool topic).

Great idea for the tri-bolt! It is at least with items that you can get in about every country (definitely here in The Netherlands).

I also love the tooling! Don't think mine will look as good, but I'll do my best.

Can you give me feedback about the seat size? Is above mentioned big enough?

Hi folks, thanks for the good words.

As for the seat size I'll be a southern gent and just say if it's comfortable wear it. My seat corners are rounded and measure 13 1/2 inches across each side. I'm 225 pounds and it sort of fits me better. As for the legs this is a first project and trial and error. I first made the legs 1 1/2 inches and tapered to fit the corner pockets but when I fit the leather to the legs the spread was too wide and the seat was too low and the tapered legs seemed to stress the leather too much. I didn't think it would hold. Next incarnation I added some pads to the top of the legs to get more contact area inside the pockets. This also made the legs not spread as much and raised the height to 18 inches. Feels about right. I've took some shots of the version. And since I can't leave well enough alone I've got another idea in the works. I'll post results of that try if it works okay.

Remember, if you make a tri-bolt like I did with the eyehooks you need to drill the holes in the legs to compensate for the difference in height of the pivot points of the legs. I made my legs 22" long and drilled the first 12" from the bottom then added 5/16" for each of the next holes. Since I didn't center the holes it increased the width of the base wider than the seat and hopefully makes it a little more stable. Guess that also depends on how many Corona's or Modelo's you just may have drank.

Let me know if this helps and post your work too.

How about a little feedback from some of the folks already making these. What am I doing wrong? Us first timers need help.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

P5052576.JPG

P5052577.JPG

post-41-1241579051_thumb.jpg

post-41-1241579077_thumb.jpg