Sign in to follow this  
dave284

How does this look for a starter kit?

Except for dyes and finnish, I think this should give me a pretty good start. http://www.eleatherworks.com/cart.php?mode...24200e7f0a9c89f

What would you change, add or delete? The only thing I've ever made with leather was a belt from a kit. That was 30 years ago in junior high, so I'm a total newb. Till I'm sure that this is going to be something I truly enjoy, I don't want to get in the hole to far on tools.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave.

I would go to Joanns or similer to look for the bees wax, you can get a good sized brick for that price (about 5 times as much wax).

Shop around the other leather supply places for some better deals.

What exactly are you planning to build? That will have a little bit to do with what I would suggest you do or don't purchase.

For intro level carving/stamping, you'd go good to start with something like a "basic 7" kit that Tandy sells. I'm not particularly endorsing Tandy, because I feel that the quality of their stamps has fallen off recently, but that type of set. Keep in mind that with a little creativity, each tool has a multitude of uses. Tilting a stamp produces different results, and who said you HAVE to hit it with a mallet? I use my bevellers and drag them, push with them, etc.

For the other tools....

Good choice with the awl. It's not an "everything" model, but nothing ever is, and this will get you started.

Nylon slicker- 50/50, you don't have to have it, but it does help round an edge. I made a folder/creaser/slicker with a $2 chunk of nice wood from Woodcraft by sanding to shape, and added a groove to the back of it. The groove starts wide, then narrows down, allowing different thickness of leather, depending on the angle I hold the tool.

edge beveler- go middle of the road with the size. These tools (very) basically shave the corner off an edge. Pressure and angle will really effect how it cuts and it's better to make several passes with a small guage, than to cut a 45 deg. angle on the edge of the leather in one pass.

Gum Trag- before buying this item, do a search for "burnishing" here on the forum. There's a few topics on it, and some great info (sp. thanks to Hidepounder) to get really good edges.

If you're looking at very limited, getting your feet wet, type work you might check at some of the fabric stores (Joann, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, even Walmart) and see about their snap kits. They have a little anvil, and setters in the kit. They aren't fantastic, but they ARE functional. And they're cheap.

Groover- If you're only going to be working close to an edge it's fine. If you're going to be stitching away from the edge, you might look for a free hand groover. Recently, I've gotten away from using them; I prefer to set a groove with a creaser/stylus to keep the grain intact.

Among other things you'll likely need-

Spraybottle- Dollar store variety works fine. You need to be able to mist your leather after casing to keep it moist.

OR

sponge- get a new one, just for leather. Don't use the one from the sink.

A knife of some sort- Utility, Olfa (snap off blade), Exacto, etc. You'll need a knife that's exceptionally sharp. See next item.

White or Red "rouge"- This is essentially a lapping compound, or whatever you'd like to call a very fine abrasive. It's used to further sharpen and polish your blades, 'cause out of the box 'razor sharp' isn't sharp enough. You apply it to a scrap of leather to make a strop. Any time the leather 'grabs' the blade, it's time to strop the blade. I routinely strop my razor knife between cuts. Also use on the awl blade.

A compass- kid's version from 1st grade school supply will work. It's got all your circle sizes included.

Straight edge- A steel ruler makes a great cutting guide for your knife. You can also use it to measure things.

Something to measure angles- I've got some "drafting" triangles, and a protractor from way back. Good way to get square cuts. Also available in school supplies.

Tracing paper- not essential, but handy if you're transferring patterns.

Blue painter's tape- stick things down, but not forever.

Some type of leather glue. I'd recommend a particular type, but it's not commonly available anymore, and that would start a thread hijack for which is best. Use the search function and do some reading, then decide which is best for your application.

Sharpening device- self explanatory. Use it when stropping your knife and awl isn't doing the trick.

Cutting surface- prevents resurfacing counter tops and tables.

Stamping surface- Something heavy to absorb the impact of stamping. Helps keep double stamps and bouncing to a minimum. A lot of us use marble or granite slabs/chunks. Know anybody with a spare headstone?

When you get your awl, determine how you'll be holding it, get the correct angle, mark where your thumb is, and make a flat/rough spot. That's an index for you to keep the awl in the same position.

Lots of this stuff is available at stores other than leather suppliers. Look around a little and get the best deal for anything you don't already have. Post what you want to be working on and we can help narrow down the list.

Keep asking questions, too. We're always glad to help.

P.S. Please read the disclaimer on the main page. I'm not accountable for you getting addicted to leatherworking. :)

Edited by TwinOaks

Dave, I'd just like to reinforce Mike's point that you don't have to buy all your leatherwork supplies or tools from a leatherwork store. Look around for bargains and grab them when you can. You don't need everything right at the start so just get enough stuff to do a single project. If you are going to a leathercraft store then listen carefully to the advice on offer. In the main, those guys do know what they are selling and can help you choose the best options.

The forum is full of people who will help you get started but if you want an answer make sure you ask the right question. Be as precise as possible and try to explain what and why you want to know.

Have fun!

Ray

I could have sworn I made this post in the holster section.My area of interest is holsters, later on maybe belts for them. I don't plan on stamping or carving them, just bone them to the gun and dye. There are no knives or sharpening accesories listed because I already have them. I sometimes forget that people can't read my mind, but it's probably a good thing that a lot of them can't. smile.I also have several old antlers for boning. I have Barge Contact Cement on the list for glue.

As for shoping around, I do intend too before ordering. Just figured that making a wish list to post on here would be the easiest way to show what I'm thinking I may need. I already have Stohlmans books on Holsters and Hand sewing. Sponges, spray bottles, tapes,working surface, hammers, steel ruler I didn't list because I thought they were common enough household items. Will buy poster board for making patterens locally.

TwinOaks, thanks for the idea about making the flat spot on the awl and the compass.

Thanks,

Dave.