Sign in to follow this  
electrathon

rattlesnake & want to make a belt

I have a rattlesnake that I want to make a belt out of. The skin seems to have scales on it that really do not look that durable. The appearance is that it will flake off if rubbed on. Is this a trait of the snake or something to do with the way it is tanned? Is there a way to traet it to make it more long term durable? My plan was to cover a cow leather blank to get the thickness, then to lace all the way around for character. I was going to make a matching wallet with the leftover, but that would be subject to even more wear.

Aaron

Aaron you are on the right track... If the Hide is tanned, remoce the loose

scales glue the hide to the belt strip, then procede to lace. yes i do not think

that the snake skin will be a durable piece of leather.

BUT IT IS GOING TO LOOK GREAT .

Aaron; the tanning method is important in my opinon. I use quite a bit of rattle snake for inlays on my sheaths and I will NOT use glycerin tanned snake skins. Now when tanned the scales get a little brittle and curl slightly. Using a paper towel or something like that stroke lightly against the grain and remove the scales (just like scaling a fish). What is left below the removed scales is the exact same pattern and color but it is not fragile. It works for me.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

Thank you both for the informatioin. I was afraid that the scales coming off would affect the look of the skin pattern. I will start rubbing it to remove the scales. I know that this will not be overly durable, I plan on it being mainly just a dress belt (with as often as I dress up this should last me for a long time.