nobearsyet

Barbed Wire

I am new to this whole leather thing, but Ifigure if I think it's worth doing why not jump in with both feet. I have decided that my first project is going to be a new wallet (as the man who made the one currently in my back pocket died and needless to say he can't make me a replacement) and want to tool the edge in the barbed wire patter nthat has become so popular and I happe nto like so well. The problem is I have been unable to find anyone who can tell me how to go about doing it. Any suggestions? For that matter, what do I need as far as tools to do it go, and where can I get them?

The first thing you need are the stamps, which you can get at Tandy, or Hidecrafter, I prefer the ones from Hidecrafter, then you would need a border tool and swivel knife, or wing dividers. Just something to give you an even line aound your border to go by, and LOTS of practice. It's a easy tool to learn to use, it just takes time.

Ok, thanks for the info. how do you do the corners as it seems as they won't be right at the end of a particular stamp and I am going to need to change direction.

One of Tandy's barbwire sets has a corner stamp, but you can use 'half' a stamp when you need to, cause they will overlap and line up. They look ok when you just butt them up to each other. Play with them and see what you can come up with that suites you. Hope this helps. Rus

I am new too, and I noticed when practicing with the barbed wire stamps, that I was better working on the bottom, than on the top. My patterns lined up better. So now I turn it upside down for this.

I am also better working from right to left, (<----), than left to right (----> ).

So just pay attention to which way you are going when you practice, to see if you are better one way than the other, and take your time.

Also, one of my tandy stamps bent with not that much use, wish I had gotten the hidecrafter ones.

Edited by Janice

My Tandy stamps are holding up fine I've put alot of miles on them over the last 4 yrs, but I just like the style of Hidecrafter's barbwire better. Don't forget to case your leather real good, it makes all the difference.

there are alot of threads on here about how tandys tools have gone down hill. I personally have bent quite a few.

Thanks Y'all. I will take note of the problems people have had with Tandy's tools, and probably buy the one from hidecrafter, Next stupid question, how d oyou keep the pattern running parallel to the edge?

Thanks Y'all. I will take note of the problems people have had with Tandy's tools, and probably buy the one from hidecrafter, Next stupid question, how d oyou keep the pattern running parallel to the edge?

if you can, make a line with a set of wing dividers that follows the edge and then just follow that line. and practice practice practice.

thanks for the inforamtion Y'all, I think (and tried it on another project) that a pair of calipers with the litttle loc kscrew clamped down at the distance I want from the edge works well, is there a downside to trying to do this this way?

Where can a guy find the 5 piece set of the hidecrafter barbed wire tools?