zipper168

Kodiak Oil-Tanned Cowhide

I am a beginner (from Singapore) trying to purchase cowhides from Tandy Leather online store.

I came across this Kodiak Oil-Tanned Cowhide https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/leather/utility-oily/9075-73.aspx, from the description, I cannot tell what type of leather it is. Anyone knows its characteristics?

1. Can it be moulded (wet forming)?

2. Can it be carved & dyed?

Do you recommend this as a general leather for projects (making bags, pouches..etc)?

Thanks & regards,

p2chen

Kodiak oiled tanned is a good leather for making tote bags, messenger bags, laptop cases, tablet sleeves, zippered pouches, etc. (That's what I make from it at least.) It is a oil tanned leather which means it is suffused with oils during the tanning process at the tannery. Those oils make the leather very soft and pliable.

1. No it can not be wet formed. (It is Oil-tanned leather, for molding you need Vegetable tanned leather)

2. No it can not be carved & dyed as it is already a dyed finished leather. I have laser etched a design on this material but if you want to carve a design with a swivel knife, again you need vegetable tanned leather.

Tandy's vegetable tanned leather can be found here. it is listed under tooling leather. It can be molded, carved, and you can dye it any color you want.

Karina

Thanks Karina for your advice.

Sorry, don't mind if I ask a few more minor questions.

Do I need to apply any coat of leather finish for bags that made out of this oil-tanned cowhide?

http://https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/cowhide/9830-77.aspx

Is this Black Cowhide with thickness of 0.8 to 1.2mm suitable for making the main body of the bags or pouches, or it is meant for the inner pockets?

Appreciate your helps.

Thanks.

A finish isn't necessary , but does add extra protection. Vegetable tanned leather will need a finish added if you want it to resist water marks and light damage.

.8mm is thin enough for liner or inner pockets. Around 5-6 (2mm) ounce to 7-8 ounce (2.8mm) is the weight for main panels, thicker or thinner can be used depending on how you want the bag to look.

If you need hands on help johnny from Atelier lodge located in Singapore does classes every week for wallets and bifolds. You should be able to grasp the foundation of leather working from his classes.

Thanks David.

Attending a class will definitely bring me up to speed, however I prefer to take my own pace and learn the craft from the books/internet.

Thanks & regards.