Candyleather,

Intersting link, and a lot wider variety of saddle types than is typically found in North America.

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be told from a picture that will help in choosing a saddle for fit. First question is, "What type of riding do you want to do?" That determines the basic saddle type you are looking to buy - ie. English, Western or some of the other ones at your friend's place.

After that, you really need to try the saddle out to see how it fits your horse, how well he can move in it, etc. There are really no numbers, descriptions, etc. that allow you to compare fit between different Western tree makers. And some of those saddles look like they have very different trees in them than a Western saddle, which complicates it even more.

Next, you have to try them out to see how they fit you - size and comfort as well as if you like it or not. You have to at least sit in them to find out if they are the right size, since all the numbers in the world generally won't tell you how you will really sit in the saddle and if it will feel "right" to you.

So we aren't really much help. I would like to help you figure out what one to buy, but anything to do with fit for and the horse is so non-standard in the industry that we can't tell you any more than the truth: You have to try it out for both yourself and the horse. And the rest is pretty much personal preference as far as style and type of saddle goes. You, however, have a great advantage over the majority of saddle buyers these days. You know enough about leather and stitching etc. to determine the quality of the job that was done in making the saddle. So many people buy "junk" thinking it is good just because they don't know better.

Denise

I was basically going to say what Rod and Denise said. But they said it alot better.

Possibly a stupid suggestion but I'm going to make it anyways, why don't you trailer over to your friends and stick a bunch of saddles on the horse's back and see which one fits best? That's what I did with my mustangs and found a sadle that happened to have a stock Bowden tree in it that fit her perfect