I have a bunch of gallon jugs on a bench along with some quart jugs. All are Fiebing dyes. Included, but not limited to, is dark brown, brown, russet, mahogany, buckskin, tan, light tan, black, and some others.

I have been trying to obtain a tan color. A tan that is not too light or too dark. And without a reddish tint. I have found that buckskin, which is almost yellow when dry, with a couple of drops of brown gets close. But it still has that tinge of red. So far, the buckskin is my base to find the tan color.

If you have ever used the tan dye, you will not suggest it. Nor the light brown.

This is the result of buckskin and a couple of drops of light brown. And I really mean a couple of drops in a small bottle of buckskin.

post-36503-0-23368300-1444323008_thumb.j

I must say, Red, that is a gorgeous color. Is it cut with thinner or anything?

I have the hardest time getting colors to come out even.

I've about given up on using dye to get that nice rich saddle tan color. The good news is that if you don't need the item to be super rigid a coat of neatsfoot oil and a day in the sun will pretty much get it the right color, at least it does for me. The color in your pic does look good!

All the best,

Josh

Wish I would have read this an hour ago. I just airbrushed a piece with Fiebing's Tan, and am not very happy with the results.

Your holster is the color I was looking for.

Thanks folks. I agree that the color is striking. And I plan to use more of it. Its just on the way of getting the color I want.

As stated, buckskin dye turns almost yellow when dry. Looks dark in the bottle. And it takes just a couple of drops of russet, brown, dark brown, or mahogany to get some beautiful browns (with a reddish tint) in a half pint bottle almost full of buckskin dye to turn close to what it shows in the picture. I stopped thinning my dyes. The 50/50 mix always looked uneven to me. I have also reverted from a foam applicator to old pieces of towel. The foam applies way too much at a time for me. I wipe the dye on in one direction and there is a look that tells me I am close to saturation.

I have not applied a sealer yet. The holster got a smidgen of Neatsfoot oil the other day. I never oil first (anymore). I will take another picture when I do.

I need to pick up some Neatsfoot oil myself. I have been using Dr Jackson's hide rejuvenator for my 'oil' step, but for things like bullet loops and stitch lines, it just does not work well.

Might have to try using bits of towel myself, as I've found that the first touch of the foam usually drops a bit too much liquid.

Have you used Moccasin Brown? I was wondering how that would go, as it didn't look too bad the one time I tried it.

I have never applied neatsfoot..........I have a bunch.........inbestween dying and sealing?

I have learned to dye first.

Moccasin Brown huh? Just might try it.

I want this color: http://www.desantisholster.com/SPEED-SCABBARD-8A?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=002BA8AZ0

I wonder if this might be what you're looking for Red Cent. This is Wickett and Craig's Russet skirting.

On the left with either no neetsfoot oil, or a light coat. On the right, a heavier coat of neetsfoot, though not enough to affect the stiffness of the leather. If I remember correctly, these were two different pieces of Russet skirting, though they would have been close in color regardless.

P1090114_zps6cguyjpw.jpg

Here's another pic that's a bit more tan. I probably put just a bit more oil on this one, than the Avenger style on the left in that upper photo:

P1090364_zpsraxg45lx.jpg

How's thispost-64333-0-83344100-1444656335_thumb.j

Yep, those are the colors. I want to get there with dye but I now know I can buy it ready made.

MissionTom, did you dye or buy it that way. Color that is :)

Edited by Red Cent

I used fiebings saddle tan cut down with denatured alcohol, took a small jar, put a couple inches of the alcohol in it and then added the dye, just a few drops at a time of until the desired color was achieved, then finished it off with a light coat of wax , I learned on this website when I was having the same problem, easier to control the depth of color you want to achieve when you start out light, each coat will slightly darken.

I've been on the same search, and I feel like I've tried darn near everything... But it certainly never occurred to me to add a couple of drops of brown! I'll have to experiment with that.

For now, I'm finally getting results I'm happy with using Angelus Tan thinned to 10% strength.

Photographing it is tricky... It looks orange when I view the pics on my phone, but they look right on my computer. In person, it's a nice, mild tan -- not too brown, and not too yellow.

post-30093-0-90673900-1445789688_thumb.j

post-30093-0-08245000-1445789705_thumb.j

post-30093-0-52989100-1445789719_thumb.j

post-30093-0-33694200-1445789789_thumb.j

post-30093-0-47687400-1445789828_thumb.j

Beautiful work BHP.