Sign in to follow this  
Seamus85

Champion/Landis/American/Singer machines just aquired

Hello fellow leather enthusiasts!

A friend an I just picked up a former shoe repair business' machinery. We have been playing with leather for quit some time stitching by hand (historical re-creations and outdoor equipment mostly), but have recently aquired a bunch of Champion, American and Singer machines along with a ton of other items. Most of them look identical to machines in an old Landis catalog that was included in the lot. We are excited as anyone here would be I think, but also welcoming any suggestions and/or advice as far as keeping our equipment in good order and working properly.

One looks like a McKay Landis model 77, another looks like a Landis No. 12 Model K (curved needle) but says Champion on it. Another looks like a Landis-American straight stitcher (again it says Champion). We assumed they we all made by the same company but name plated otherwise, but honestly we're not sure. A large C-framed Champion was included as well, but a similar machine was not listed in the Landis catalog. We also have 3 Singer 29's. Everything so far seems to work fine but we are still in the testing phase. Many needles, spare parts, and other benchtop eqipment were included as well as several manuals. Plus we found more information online for several of them.

Any suggestions for our new toys? I'm used to sewing canvas on a machine but this machinery is quite different. I've been playing with the Singers mostly just getting used to the rotating foot.

Jim

the mckay is mostly used for sewing the soles on mens shoes,the needle passes thru the sole and insole so theirs a stitch line inside of shoe. the curved needle sticher is used to sew soles on boots or shoes with welts