jpd9930

Outback Hat

Hi,

New member here! Just started getting into leather working. I have made 3 holsters and 1 mag pouch so far. I want to branch out and make a outback style hat. I have seen some you tube and read some forums but cant find any real information on hat sizing. I have a template I made for my head. It fits a little snug. Should I make it so it fits perfect or a little larger? I'm not sure how or if I need to compensate for the overlap where I will be stitching the brim and crown. Other than that I think I have the design right. 3" brim with a 4" crown that will taper down to 3.5" in the front.

I don't plan to stain the leather just seal with beeswax. I understand that will darken the leather somewhat. Will it be a subtle shade or darken it significantly? I don't want and untanned look but wont want it too dark either...

Unless Tandy has sizing instructions in the pattern pack I am not interested in that...

Thanks in advance for any wisdom anyone is willing to share.

Jon

Any tips on stitching where 3 pieces of leather (6-7oz) come together?

No tips on sizing?

find some cardboard that you can compress to the thickness of your leather, use your templates to make the hat out of the cdbd, adjust pattern to suit. Make real hat.

Good Luck!

Edited by groovytech

well so far I found I didn't compensate for the overlap on the crown. with 1/4" setback from the edge I lost 1" on circumference. Also the crown will be 1" shorter than expected. DOH! Should have considered that.

on to the next problem. the real one. The crown is much farther around than the top. I have room for 114 stitches in the crown at the top but only 103 on the leather for the top. Should I punch the holes in the top and then eyeball the crown or punch the greater number and adjust the stitching on the top? I am using a Tandy 4 prong punch (large holes 3/32nd ) and I have a sewing awl. I don't have any leather needles.

I don't have any drill bits that small but that is not a problem if smaller holes are recommended. I can also get some braided fishing line if smaller thread would be better. I am currently using a spool of waxed thread I got as a gift so I don't know the size. It doesn't seem like it will be an issue.

P.S. I think its a good idea to not stitch the top and bottom holes on the crown when sewing the 2 pieces together. Otherwise you could have 6 sets of stitches in that one hole. I am assuming double stitching.

Edited by jpd9930

JP... there is no "easing" when it comes to leather. You need to make sure you have the same number of holes on both the crown and brim... etc. Count, count, count!!

Do you have a dremel? check that for small drill bits. Also a finish nail will work to pre punch holes.

Here's a tutorial for making a leather top hat.... perhaps some of these tips will help you.

Sewing machine needles chucked in your dremal are perfect for drilling holes.

dont have a dremel but its a fantastic idea!