Hello all, new to leathercrafting. want to know if you can dye/color with two different colors. I'm making a cell phone case and want the main body of case to be a lighter shade of brown, but want the border where the stitching is to be black. is this possible? also if I put a stamp design on it how can I make the imprint more distinguishable> thanks

Edited by biker55

I've done what you want to do dozens of times. What I usually do is dye the whole piece brown, wait for it to dry completely, then carefully dye the part you want black. I've never had any problems doing it that way.

What Curley said.... And to make the stamp stand out, use Resolene or NeatLac to block it before dying

Tom

thanks, that was simple.

Edited by biker55

sorry, had another question. how about if I want the image to have some black tint to it to make it stand out from a lighter background. thanks again.

Hello Biker,

Use the same method of applying a blocking agent where you do not want the black to go and then applying the black as needed.

I do the multicolor thing quite often and my methods are probably not the norm but work for me.

If you have the chance, grab some scraps and practice a bit of what is called "dry brushing". Dip you artist brush into the dye, touch a paper towel or rag, to remove most of the dye and then apply the black with a very light touch, moving lightly over the area you wish to enhance.

Hope that is not to confusing.

God Bless.

Ray

If it is a tooled/stamped image you can also antique it. The color will stay in the impressions but be wiped away from the smooth part of the leather. Welcome to the hobby and forum :)

thanks everyone. gotta get more practice in.