rawhider

# of strings formula

Be nice to me (Megabit!!) how do you guys like to figure out how many strings and what width they will be to cover a foundation or a core or what have you? I have gotten pretty good at guessing, but I'd like to know how to calculate the exact measurements.

Please no complicated math formulas - my brain can only take so much before it just shuts down.

Edited by rawhider

Be nice to me (Megabit!!) how do you guys like to figure out how many strings and what width they will be to cover a foundation or a core or what have you? I have gotten pretty good at guessing, but I'd like to know how to calculate the exact measurements.

Please no complicated math formulas - my brain can only take so much before it just shuts down.

Hi, well this is my first post as a newbie but I have a similar question as above. I was just told that for example if your doing a 4 thong round braid, each thong is 1/8" wide, that equals 4/8th's or one half inch. So you don't want to go over a 1/2" circumference. To get your circumference (sorry for the math formula but it's easy) Pie=3.14 x the diameter of the core. So if your using a 3/16" piece of core, 3/16" in decimal is .1875 x 3.14 = .589. I was told I can round this down to .5 or half an inch.

ANYONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF THIS IS WRONG. I SHOULDN'T BE SPOUTING OFF MY MOUTH RIGHT NOW AS I AM A NEW BIE BUT THIS IS WHAT I WAS RECENTLY TOLD. IS THIS CORRECT? THANK YOU!

Now my question: I'm finding out that if I go the right dia core it looks not so well on the back side of the braid? If I go 1/16" to an 1/8" smaller it actually turns out the pattern that should look the right way on the back?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Esson

Hey on braiding topics I look to you for guidance. Now whiskey might be a different subject.

I think B Grant suggest the sum of the widths should equal the radius of the core. I recall most around here suggesting to add a little to that, but I'll try to find the passage in Grant's book tonight.

I think Alan may have answered this one before, so you might find it with the search.

Yes you should add a tad!! I did the 12 plait math and it wasn't enough because my string stretched. Since I wasn't that skilled at the 12 plait I had to do it and then redo it and that took a toll on my string. What a real bummer!

As far as number of strings I like to use as thin a string as possible, while keeping my own talent in mind, so I tend to do the math for a couple of different plaits. I'm far from eying it at this point, man I wish!!

Thank you very much! I'll have to take a while to read it and soak it in now.

Appreciate your all your inputs!

Esson

No, that answered my question: stick with winging it, it won't make your head hurt as bad!

seriously, I tried the formulas a couple times, and they don't seem to come out the way I like them to look. So I'll just keep on guessing, it seems to do me just fine.

Now, about whiskey...

You mean that some people actually measure and plan?

Dang.

That's just so wrong!!!! *pout* I hate doing the math! :Lighten: How about I post my quirt core and you all tell me what width to cut the string... :whatdoyouthink:

How about I post my quirt core and you all tell me what width to cut the string... :whatdoyouthink:

I'll just tell you know without even looking. 3/32" strings 20 plait. You shouldn't have any problems... :thumbsup:

Holy moly!!! :o 20 strings!! I can't even hold 6 in each hand yet. What's the pattern for 20 strings? In all seriousness though, it does make sense, because that's the size I cut the most and I could actually braid my quirt with spare string from other projects if I waited long enough. A quirt isn't that long so instead of key chains and bracelets I'd have a lovely quirt. I'm dreaming though, there's no way I'm ready for 20 strings! Perhaps I could make a smaller quirt core though and try 12 plait again.

I'm dreaming though, there's no way I'm ready for 20 strings! Perhaps I could make a smaller quirt core though and try 12 plait again.

Ok, don't want 20 * 3/32, just change to 8 * 1/4 seems like from the math it should cover about the same.

60/32 = 7.5/4 right?

There he goes again with the math!!! :NEWFUNNYPOST:

Depends on how big your core is. I use a 1/2" core on most of my bosals and braid an 1/8" 12 plait braid around it. I end up with about a 5/8" bosal, so that would make a good stout quirt.

Thanks mega, but I have to admit I don't like cutting my roo that big. I actually don't like cutting it over 1/8" My first quirt I did cut it fairly large so I could get a good feel for what I wanted to do.

It's going to take me a bit to figure out how to make it 1/2". I follow the instructions for a quirt in Grants cowboy gear book. I take leather strips and wrap it in wax string. I really like the feel of it but it's difficult to get an exact size.

Holy moly!!! :o 20 strings!! I can't even hold 6 in each hand yet. What's the pattern for 20 strings? In all seriousness though, it does make sense, because that's the size I cut the most and I could actually braid my quirt with spare string from other projects if I waited long enough. A quirt isn't that long so instead of key chains and bracelets I'd have a lovely quirt. I'm dreaming though, there's no way I'm ready for 20 strings! Perhaps I could make a smaller quirt core though and try 12 plait again.

Don't sell yourself short. You can do it if you put you mind to it.

The pattern for 8 plait is u2 - o2.

The pattern for 12 plait is o2 - u2 - o2.

The pattern for 16 plait is u2 - o2 - u2 - o2

The pattern for 20 plait is o2 - u2 - o2 - u2 - o2

The pattern for 24 plait is u2 - o2 - u2 - o2 - u2 - o2

These will give you the herringbone pattern.

If you use the whipmaker's pattern it would be as follows:

8 Plait is u2 - o2

12 plait is u3 - o3

16 plait is u4 - o4

20 plait is u5 - o5 (Not usually used in whipmaking. It has been used, but not common)

24 plait is u6 - o6

Just remember to keep the strings in order, and work one side then the other. You have to concentrate on one string at a time. The rest don't come into play until it is their time to be worked.

Give it a try. And as Peter Jack told me once. "Every so often you need to turn it over and see what's going on in the back."

Jerry

I can tell you about the Whiskey...I have been on an Evan Williams 1783 Brand for the last year.It's their Ten year old Straight Bourbon..I probably shouldn't tell you guys ,I been givin it as Christmas gifts and I have had nothing but rave reports.Nice on the rocks and does'nt have that nasty bite like JD or some of the others.About 20 for the 1.75 size.It helps me deal with what they are doing to my Country here in the Wash Metro area.You folks teach me something every time I sign on!!

Back off the Whiskey, even though I like a drop myself. and back to 3/32" stings??

What are you using to cut them so fine. I find the finer I try to cut the harder it is to keep even.

Johanne

I use a Hansen string cutter. Shaving razors work the best when cutting that fine. It does great... unless i'm drinking too much :thumbsup:

Speaking of your Hansen, do you cut disk into say 1" strips with it then cut the string from the strips or do you cut a disk down to the size you need?

I keep thinking I should spend the money and get one. My stuff would likely look much better if I could bevel my string.

Mike, what I do is I cut 3/8 string from my circles. They usually stretch a little, so that lets me get either a solid 1/4 string, or two solid 1/8 strings. I don't really need abthing over 1/4, and most ofmy braiding is 1/8 or smaller.

I cut my 3/8 string, then if I'm gonna go smaller, I get my tupperware ready with a *damp* paper towel in the bottom. I cut my main string down to 1/8 in, then coil it small and stick in the container (this will keep it properly moistened while you work on your other string). Then cut your other piece down to 1/8 in. Then I set my splitter, get it down to the desired thickness, then set my beveler and go to town. None of the settings change except the slitter, which has to be adjusted as I split. After you get that string done, coil it up and throw it in the container and adress the first string. then you can throw them on the shelf or whatever. When you are ready to use them, throw them in some water for about an hour or two. I then take them out and let them sit till there is no standing water on them, then throw them in the container for another hour or so. They usually case perfectly like this, and are ready to use.

I notice a big difference in the appearence of my gear since useing the hansen. Keep an eye on e-bay, that's where I got mine. They are deffinately worth the money, tho. It takes a little getting used to using it, but once you figure it out, you'll get a system down.

~Luke