Jimbob

226 Or 206Rb5?

I am looking into either a Consew 226 in nice shape, or a

newer Consew 206 rb5...

Now I wonder how much difference there is between these two?

Also like to compare them to a Singer 211....

I have several options and wonder if there is any opinion

on these machines!

Thanks

James

What are you trying to sew with the 206? If it is more than 2-4 oz leather forget about it. If you are making chaps and vests you are in business.

Its a great machine as long as you dont use it for anything close to heavy duty.

I have a 206 rb-5. I sew 2 layers of 8oz latigo using 207 thread with no problem except hand wheeling the first 2 stitches. A speed reducer would fix that. I cant speak on the others because I have never sewn on them.

I have the 206 rb 5 servo gear reduction motor 500GR,( 1st machine)

sews belts 10oz veggie just fine. seems to work best with a 92 thread 20 needle.

I have used 138 with a 22 ok, machine seem to struggle with 207 with a 23 needle. Sovran, what needle/thread do you use?

I do hand wheel to kick start the first couple start up punches and when I slow down and reverse. I think I am developing a feel for the machine, foot and hand feel. adjusting tension, pressure foot, changing needle often.

@paprhangr I have the same machine/motor setup. When I first got the machine I had horrible problems with consistant stitching using 207/23, including splitting the thread and thread breakage. It would stitch fine for a while then start splitting and breaking the thread. Adjusting the top tension did almost nothing no matter how many turns I gave it. Of course first I changed needles and size but that made no difference. This made me think something was wrong with the thread path so I started experimenting. It was originally threaded once through the top post, twice through the 3 hole guide, through the tension disc but wrapped around the locating pin on the tension disc before going through the second tension disc and rest of the machine. A couple belt blanks later I found the path that worked for me. Thread back to front then right to left on the top post. Go through all 3 holes on the 3 hole guide from top to bottom and right to left. Over the top counterclockwise through the first tension disc(making sure it is seated in the bottom of the groove) and on to the second disc and rest of machine. The biggest change was not wrapping around the top of the locating pin in the top tension disc.

It now sews great with 138, 207 or a combination on anything I stick under the foot. Only slight adjustments are needed to the top tension screw to center the knot. This may be how the thread path is supposed to be but It wasnt set up this way when I got the machine. The only thing more I would want for this machine is a speed reducer because trying to handwheel, hold the threads and guide the material during start up requires that third arm growing from my chest to be a little longer. :P

What are you trying to sew with the 206? If it is more than 2-4 oz leather forget about it. If you are making chaps and vests you are in business.

Its a great machine as long as you dont use it for anything close to heavy duty.

The post to which you replied with a question to the original poster is almost two years old: Posted 29 July 2012