Sign in to follow this  
DJ1935

Spur Straps

IMG_0400.JPG

I had a go at making a pair of Spur Straps over the weekend, just for something different to do. Today I thought I'd better try them on my boots to make sure they fit! It then occured to me that the boots were probably going to be more interesting to alot of people than my straps.

In 2001 I was about to enter my first Western Performance Show and hauled my boots out of storage only to find something evil had chewed most of the surface off the leather. Our local Saddlery was out of my size boots with a three week wait for more stock. A small panic started, then I remembered an elderly gent whom I had come across some time before who had mentioned that he had a pair of Western boots. I called in on the couple who were a bit suprised to see me but when I mentioned borrowing his boots the old boy's eyes lit up and he exclaimed " my wife's been trying to get rid of those for years"!

In 1969 he had headed a group of exchange New Zealand Rotary Members to Fort Worth, Texas. Upon arrival in Texas each of the visitors was gifted a pair of Justin leather Western Boots and a genuine Stetson hat. These were only worn on the Aeroplane home and spent the next 33 years languishing in his wardrobe. The boots still had the full can of E Z E On spray with them.

The boots fitted perfectly and I left their house with them firmly in my grasp, feeling like the cat with the proverbial Canary. Suddenly the wife called out "oh dont forget your hat"! The Stetson was plonked on my head. It's not often that I am stuck for words but just for a moment ......................!

I wore the boots and hat for that Show and we got a ribbon for second place.

Just recently the gentleman passed away, in his mid 90's.

Does anyone know if the Justin Boot Company is still in business? Their boots certainally have lasted well.

DJ

Boots.jpg

post-5220-1247974860_thumb.jpg

post-5220-1247976278_thumb.jpg

Very nice work! We had a pair as kids and they were too big, but we all took turns wearing them. We thought we were so cool in our Justins and boot cut jeans.

Wow, you dont see a brand new pair of 40 year old boots everyday. :cowboy:

Yes, Justin boot co is very alive and well.

D J..... take good care of those Boots...

QUALITY MERCHANDICE..you can still buy them today....Fancy....Fancy...

but i dont beleive they are made as good as the ones you have....I M H O .

DJ1935

Try this site http://www.justinboots.com

David Theobald

Edited by David