Sign in to follow this  
particle

Can anyone tell me what this is?

My latest attempt at a holster left me with some areas of the leather that didn't stiffen up after dying. Can anyone tell me what this solution might be? The image is from Brigade Holsters. The caption under the photo says "Dipped in a mix of solution for added strength and longevity." It looks like watered down Elmer's Glue, but I know it's probably not... They have many more photos at the bottom of the page via the following link: http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-11.html

IMG_5797.jpg

Why couldn't it be Elmers? I saw a video online of someone stiffening leather that way.

I'm not familiar with the product in question.

To maximize stiffness of a veg-tan holster (or pouch, or other items) there are two useful techniques:

1. After forming with water, apply heat during the drying process. Temperatures of around 125 to 130 degrees over a period of 20 to 30 minutes will usually result in significantly stiffer results. Controlled temperature is required, as too much heat will damage the leather. A convection oven can be put to use, but use a good thermometer to control temperatures. For the occasional job a common hair dryer will suffice.

2. Use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol instead of water for your wet-forming. The alcohol will evaporate off completely in 2 or 3 hours, and the result is usually noticably greater stiffness.

I have used both methods, and I have used alcohol-forming followed by moderate heating (we don't want to ignite the alcohol). The results are impressive.

I've had the best results with using my oven. I set it on the lowest setting and hang the holster in there for about 20-30 minutes to dry. I tried a heat gun/hair dryer before and completely ruined a holster that I let get too hot.

I've read out on the interwebs where people use watered down PVA to stiffen leather and have wondered if that is what Brigade is using http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Liquids/2540-130.aspx

Bronson

After looking at the site you posted. I noted one of the previous steps stated (as Lobo posted) warmed to retain shape. I think the photo you posted is actually the finish being applied. Possibly diluted super sheen or resolene? Just a guess.

Thanks for the responses everyone - I did try heat, but perhaps I didn't do it long enough. My oven tends to run at about 140 on the warm setting, so I usually just let it hit that temp for a little while, then shut it off and let the holster sit in there as the oven cools. Last time, it worked great. With this current holster, it had no effect. I really think it was a bad section of leather, and was hoping that a chemical such as this might be added after the fact to solve such problems.

Thanks for the responses everyone - I did try heat, but perhaps I didn't do it long enough. My oven tends to run at about 140 on the warm setting, so I usually just let it hit that temp for a little while, then shut it off and let the holster sit in there as the oven cools. Last time, it worked great. With this current holster, it had no effect. I really think it was a bad section of leather, and was hoping that a chemical such as this might be added after the fact to solve such problems.

I'm going to speculate that your holster didn't reach the required degree of warming for any duration of time. The combination of time and temps between 95 and 120 degrees and the moisture in the leather are the keys to significant stiffening of the leather. The moisture in the correct temp range aborbes collagens from the leather and migrates through the fibers essentially glueing them in place.