woody2shoes

Braided/beaded Show Leads

Hi, I am very new to leather work but have always been fascinated by it. As an offshoot to making whippet coats, I am now embarking on making leather whippet collars and, hopefully, leather braided/beaded show leads for all breeds. I realise this topic has been done before (I did a search on this forum) so my questions are of a more general nature relating to the materials I actually hope to use.

My son can supply me with endless quantities of various coloured furniture grade leather offcuts. So my question is, can I use this leather to braid leads with? My son produces high end custom furniture so the leather he can get me is very soft. It braids easily - these were my first two attempts several nights ago...

post-29390-036900600 1330502861_thumb.jp

...but I am conscious that I would like to cut my own lacing from the offcuts in time, and ultimately be able to bevel for a professional finish. Am I completely off-beam even thinking of using this leather?

If so, and if I really do need to buy kangaroo lacing, what width is ideal for top end, quality braided show leads? Suppliers over here (I am in Australia) sell 'roo thonging' by the hank or roll starting at minimum 3mm wide

post-29390-052273400 1330502736_thumb.jp

or round thonging starting at .5mm diameter

post-29390-071942200 1330502791_thumb.jp

Also, I would like to use paracord as cores for my leads. What diameter paracord should I use?

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

w2s

Hi, I am very new to leather work but have always been fascinated by it. As an offshoot to making whippet coats, I am now embarking on making leather whippet collars and, hopefully, leather braided/beaded show leads for all breeds. I realise this topic has been done before (I did a search on this forum) so my questions are of a more general nature relating to the materials I actually hope to use.

My son can supply me with endless quantities of various coloured furniture grade leather offcuts. So my question is, can I use this leather to braid leads with? My son produces high end custom furniture so the leather he can get me is very soft. It braids easily - these were my first two attempts several nights ago...

post-29390-036900600 1330502861_thumb.jp

...but I am conscious that I would like to cut my own lacing from the offcuts in time, and ultimately be able to bevel for a professional finish. Am I completely off-beam even thinking of using this leather?

If so, and if I really do need to buy kangaroo lacing, what width is ideal for top end, quality braided show leads? Suppliers over here (I am in Australia) sell 'roo thonging' by the hank or roll starting at minimum 3mm wide

post-29390-052273400 1330502736_thumb.jp

or round thonging starting at .5mm diameter

post-29390-071942200 1330502791_thumb.jp

Also, I would like to use paracord as cores for my leads. What diameter paracord should I use?

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

w2s

I can't answer all your questions but I'll try since I just took a break from round braiding rawhide. First I don't think you will be able to use that leather because it's too soft and stretchy. I saw places on your very nice round braiding where small places are 'wiggly' or I don't know the word to use, but too much material for the particular spot not allowing it to lie flat. And I think that's from it stretching while you braided. I don't think beveling will help that but if you do decide to bevel, I recommend a 'french beveler' (others may know of a better one) because the width allows you to 'strop' it and keep it nice and sharp.

And i'm confused by your question about a core. Why do you need one? I just use 4 pieces of rawhide and do the braid. If you wanted it thicker, you could use 8 pieces of whatever you are using to braid with but maybe a core is less expensive? I don't know anything about cores.

I also don't know anything about roo lace except your pictures of it are pretty. If it's stretchy don't use it is all I can say because you will end up with gaps in your braiding. I hope this was a little help. Cheryl

I don't make whippets or leads but several people on here are excellent at their braiding skills. Maybe they can chime in. I have heard though the lace SHOULD be beveled. It's nice that you have plenty of kangaroo in your area. :thumbsup: I love using kangaroo lace!

I can't answer all your questions but I'll try since I just took a break from round braiding rawhide. First I don't think you will be able to use that leather because it's too soft and stretchy. I saw places on your very nice round braiding where small places are 'wiggly' or I don't know the word to use, but too much material for the particular spot not allowing it to lie flat. And I think that's from it stretching while you braided. I don't think beveling will help that but if you do decide to bevel, I recommend a 'french beveler' (others may know of a better one) because the width allows you to 'strop' it and keep it nice and sharp.

And i'm confused by your question about a core. Why do you need one? I just use 4 pieces of rawhide and do the braid. If you wanted it thicker, you could use 8 pieces of whatever you are using to braid with but maybe a core is less expensive? I don't know anything about cores.

I also don't know anything about roo lace except your pictures of it are pretty. If it's stretchy don't use it is all I can say because you will end up with gaps in your braiding. I hope this was a little help. Cheryl

Thanks for your reply Cheryl. I appreciate your time.

The leather I have is, as you quite rightly point out, soft and it does have some stretch. I am not convinced that it will lend itself to beveling but I will try. The underside is quite rough and 'hairy' (sorry, don't know what the correct term is) so it really does need to be neatened if I hope to use it. I will attempt to cut proper lace too as I have been doing it by hand with sharp shears to date! Yes, I really do have to get myself some proper leather working tools!

The reason I planned to use a paracord core was to give my leads added strength and stability. In their current state, ie. without a core, the braids I've made have quite a bit of give in them and I don't believe they will last. I guess this is all trial and error - if my leather doesn't work, I will simply purchase some roo lacing and use that instead.

I have loads more questions but I will reserve them for another time. Don't want to overdo my welcome lol!

Thanks again and I will be sure to post again once I have made some advances (hopefully!)

Teresa

I don't make whippets or leads but several people on here are excellent at their braiding skills. Maybe they can chime in. I have heard though the lace SHOULD be beveled. It's nice that you have plenty of kangaroo in your area. :thumbsup: I love using kangaroo lace!

Thanks for your feedback! Kangaroo lace is definitely plentiful here and from what I've read, it does make nice leads so I may well see about getting some in time. I am still hoping I can use the leather from my son since I can get it for nothing and that is a huge bonus of course. But, at the end of the day, I want to make high end leads once I get good enough so I will do what I have to as far as sourcing the right materials.

I've seen some of the beautiful braidwork on this forum already and it is awe inspiring. I hope I can get half that good in time!!!

Take care.

Teresa

Thanks for your reply Cheryl. I appreciate your time.

The leather I have is, as you quite rightly point out, soft and it does have some stretch. I am not convinced that it will lend itself to beveling but I will try. The underside is quite rough and 'hairy' (sorry, don't know what the correct term is) so it really does need to be neatened if I hope to use it. I will attempt to cut proper lace too as I have been doing it by hand with sharp shears to date! Yes, I really do have to get myself some proper leather working tools!

The reason I planned to use a paracord core was to give my leads added strength and stability. In their current state, ie. without a core, the braids I've made have quite a bit of give in them and I don't believe they will last. I guess this is all trial and error - if my leather doesn't work, I will simply purchase some roo lacing and use that instead.

I have loads more questions but I will reserve them for another time. Don't want to overdo my welcome lol!

Thanks again and I will be sure to post again once I have made some advances (hopefully!)

Teresa

Hi Teresa. I was unclear in my post, which is about every post I make. I wasn't recommending you bevel the edges, I just said if you were GOING to bevel, I liked my french beveler the best, LOL.

the braids I've made have quite a bit of give in them and I don't believe they will last.

It is that 'give' I'm talking about and why I don't think the leather you are using will work out for the leads and collars. I think you're always going to have those 'wiggly' areas that aren't tight to the braid. They'd probably last ok; I read that braided leather (maybe anything, I don't remember) is stronger than the original piece the thongs were cut from.

You ask all the questions you want to. I'm sure some others more knowledgeable than I am will jump in today. Good luck!!! Cheryl

Hi Teresa. I was unclear in my post, which is about every post I make. I wasn't recommending you bevel the edges, I just said if you were GOING to bevel, I liked my french beveler the best, LOL.

the braids I've made have quite a bit of give in them and I don't believe they will last.

It is that 'give' I'm talking about and why I don't think the leather you are using will work out for the leads and collars. I think you're always going to have those 'wiggly' areas that aren't tight to the braid. They'd probably last ok; I read that braided leather (maybe anything, I don't remember) is stronger than the original piece the thongs were cut from.

You ask all the questions you want to. I'm sure some others more knowledgeable than I am will jump in today. Good luck!!! Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. I appreciate your advice. I have now ordered a lace cutter, bevel, fid, lacing needles and a book on braiding so hopefully I am off to some sort of start. I will see how the leather I have behaves and if I have no luck cutting lace or beveling it, I guess i will simply have to order roo lace. No biggy! :rolleyes2:

Thanks Cheryl. I appreciate your advice. I have now ordered a lace cutter, bevel, fid, lacing needles and a book on braiding so hopefully I am off to some sort of start. I will see how the leather I have behaves and if I have no luck cutting lace or beveling it, I guess i will simply have to order roo lace. No biggy! :rolleyes2:

I kinda have a weird philosophy......nothing leaves my house that isn't as perfect as I can make it, and I'm like a leather chef, I eat my mistakes, LOL. By that I mean I am making a 'products bag' for me and the only thing I hadn't made less than perfect was the blue jeans I am using. almost everything else was intended to be something else and I didn't make it right. Now you might not have noticed it, or a buyer, but I KNEW it was there and it was all I could see. So I'm making the absolutely coolest whatever they're called, LOL. Messenger bag? Big blue jean and leather thing holder? Working on it right now, just wait'll ya see it. I told a friend it's gonna be wild, and cool, and colorful and fun and all me. If the leather doesn't work out after you try to bevel it, and round braid it, make yourself a round braided bracelet, necklace and ankle thingy, all matching from the leash. People'll stop you on the street to find out where you got it, and give'em a business card, LOL.

Seriously, I couldn't help you much with the technical stuff and I'm sorry. But I do have a little bit that will help....have a blast doing it, or just don't do it? Good luck.

Hi teresa, me again if you are planning on cutting your own lacing, this place sells beautiful roo hides http://www.packerdirect.com.au/ Check out youtube.... Bernie has some get vids on cutting and whip making. Even though i don't plan on making a whip, he has some great tips.http://www.youtube.com/user/bernie46/videos. You also might be interested in the bi annual leather conference in Brisbane... Dimensions in Leather. It will be on again in July 2012....It is the BEST time to be had... a full week of tutorials, lessons and fun. Heres the link from last year. http://www.dimensionsinleather.com/

cheers

caroline

Hi teresa, me again if you are planning on cutting your own lacing, this place sells beautiful roo hides http://www.packerdirect.com.au/ Check out youtube.... Bernie has some get vids on cutting and whip making. Even though i don't plan on making a whip, he has some great tips.http://www.youtube.com/user/bernie46/videos. You also might be interested in the bi annual leather conference in Brisbane... Dimensions in Leather. It will be on again in July 2012....It is the BEST time to be had... a full week of tutorials, lessons and fun. Heres the link from last year. http://www.dimensionsinleather.com/

cheers

caroline

Thanks for all of that Caroline! I had a look at packerdirect and the link to the leather conference. I would LOVE to go along. Now how to work that into everything else I have to do....hmmmmm!

I am using youtube a lot and will continue to so thanks for giving me that info.

Cheers!

Teresa

You are most welcome.... please note that i made a typo.....the next conference is in 2013!!!!

You are most welcome.... please note that i made a typo.....the next conference is in 2013!!!!

Probably just as well it's not til 2013 Caroline. :rolleyes2: Not sure I could have made it this year, as much as I'd love to. :rolleyes:

If I was to buy leather for lace cutting, can you recommend what I should get eg. weight etc.? From a cost-saving point of view especially, I would love to cut and dye my own lace.

Thanks.

Teresa

Edited by woody2shoes

Probably just as well it's not til 2013 Caroline. :rolleyes2: Not sure I could have made it this year, as much as I'd love to. :rolleyes:

If I was to buy leather for lace cutting, can you recommend what I should get eg. weight etc.? From a cost-saving point of view especially, I would love to cut and dye my own lace.

Thanks.

Teresa

Hi Teresa. I can't answer your question, just still following your thread. It seems you're in good hands here, so I'm happy about that. Cheryl

Hi Teresa. I can't answer your question, just still following your thread. It seems you're in good hands here, so I'm happy about that. Cheryl

Thanks all the same Cheryl. If you can think of anything else I need to know, please don't hesitate. Seems there is a lot to learn here. :thumbsup: