Brandon711

Professional Polishing

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to get my products looking like coming out of a factory. I see a lot of briefcases and wallets that look totally awesome and shiny but for some reason mines looks very dull at the end. Any help would be highly appreciated.

What do you currently do to finish your product? What finishes do you use? What products are you making?

On a personal note: I would rather have my product look hand made than look like it came out of a factory. It is possible to get a good finish and still look like a person not a machine made it.

Start with telling us what you sell and how you finish it. I'll bet people here can tell you how to improve the finish.

Michael

Without knowing what you're making, it's hard to be specific.

Even so......

There are several things that can alter the look of the leather- The type of leather (specifically how it was tanned), the method of coloring, the finish / topcoat on it, and any physical applications. For example: If you start with rawhide, wipe dye on it, and cover it with neat-lac, it's gonna look like crap. If you take a piece of drum dyed bridle leather, run it through a glazing machine, and put an good topcoat on that, it'll look fabulous.

The differences are as follows- bridle leather is tanned (and hot stuffed with waxes and oils for weather resistance), rawhide is just cured. Wiping dye on with a dauber or cloth will leave streaks and be uneven, drum dying gives a deep even color (you can also get even coloring with an airbrush). A glazing machine (somebody help me out if I named it wrong) uses glass rods in a machine to compress and smooth the surface fibers of the leather. I've found I can get a wonderful shine after spray-dying, by just rubbing firmly with a paper towel. It's just rough enough to glaze the surface, but soft enough that it doesn't damage the grain. A topcoat to seal it, and voila! nice looking leather.

*yes, there are other steps like conditioning that weren't mentioned*