AndyL1

Most Iconic Leatherworking tool

Most Iconic Tool  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What tool would be the most iconic?

• Mallet
    • maul
    • Head Knife
    • Some type of punch
    • I hate polls. Where's my beer?

Hey All,

I've been really thinking about having a maker's stamp made but I wanted it to be a logo I have designed for myself. I wanted to incorporate a leather working tool in the design and I can't nail down which one to use.

My question is:

What leather working tool is considered to be the most iconic?

Edited by AndyL1

Probably the round or head knife, but since I hate 'em; I'll choose the swivel knife

David Theobald

Headknife....

WLF71_1_.jpg

post-6344-1234098288_thumb.jpg

Probably the round or head knife, but since I hate 'em; I'll choose the swivel knife

David Theobald

+1 I think Leather I think Swivel Knife, But the Head Knife is Probably more universal to All Leather work not just Carving.

:taptap:

I'd say a head knife too, even though I've never owned or used one, although, I doubt whether one in a thousand people outside of leather craft would know what it is.

Well, I picked the mallet. Not all of us use a swivel knife or a head knife, but every one of us has a hammer or three. One of my favorite leather logos belongs to steveb.

Johanna

I'd say a head knife too, even though I've never owned or used one, although, I doubt whether one in a thousand people outside of leather craft would know what it is.

That's sort of my concern too. If I make stuff for the average joe, they may not understand what that tool is and...

Well, I picked the mallet. Not all of us use a swivel knife or a head knife, but every one of us has a hammer or three. One of my favorite leather logos belongs to steveb.

Johanna

...based on what you have said I'm leaning towards a mallet. I don't use a head knife as I don't have one and my folding box cutter works perfect for me. But I use the heck out of my mallet.

Bottom line:

Mallet = recognizable tool, used a lot in leather work.

Head Knife = says "leather" but a majority of people don't know what it is. Some use it, some don't.

Decisions, decisions. I'll let this poll go for a while more and then just flip a coin I guess. Thanks for chiming in!

What the He** does "Iconic" mean you people are useing those big words again.

The swivel Knife. But the poll does not include it so I have to say the Head Knife.

Kiwi

Definitions of 'iconic'

(ī-kŏńĭk)

Dictionary.com · The American Heritage® Dictionary - (2 definitions)

(adjective)

1. Of, relating to, or having the character of an icon.

2. Having a conventional formulaic style. Used of certain memorial statues and busts.

(derivatives)

íco·nići·ty

noun

For purposes of this discussion, I believe Andy is looking for a symbol that is most universally recognized to represent leather work.

I think a head knife comes the closest, since part cutting is something that is in common with virtually every leather project, even though many of us do not use a round knife for cutting. All the other tools mentioned (including the swivel knife) may or may not be required.

Whether the general public would recognize that as a symbol for leather work is unsure. But since the general public knows little about leather work, that could be questionable with whatever you use.

Kate

Thanks everybody for the feedback. With much thought and considering the poll and your replies, I'm going with a Head Knife. I think it says "leather work" more so than a mallet. I decided to shy away from a mallet because... well... there's already an ARM and HAMMER company out there:

That said, here is the logo I've bee producing for myself. I will get this made into a stamp as well. The ARM is my initials, I am left handed, do all my work by hand, and I love medieval/celtic/heraldry styling in my work so I think the mark kind of says all of these things.

Thanks again.

-Andy

ARM.jpg

post-8183-1234421990_thumb.jpg

Hey Andy,

I dig your logo. Very graphic, very clear, and a good use of black and white. I like the power of the woodblock print look. I've been working off and on for a logo for Leatherhelms too, in a similar graphic style.

Doug

got be swivel knife but head knife next.

Josh

I'dve said swivel knife too, honestly.

WEll, if you can't decide, put them both on there, a head knife crossed with a rawhide mallet or saddlemaker's hammer..... then again, considering how the country is headed, maybe a hammer and sickle?...... be more patriotic.

WELL, I saw a lot of wordS for swivel knives, but NO pictures. HMMMM, wonder what that means about ICONIC?

How about a hand held mallet over a hand held stamp?

Sorry, no picture or drawing. Back to the stone I go.

TaTA

Kevin

Yea, leather working isn't like blacksmithing where everyone thinks of an anvil. I had never used, nor really heard of a round knife till I got on LW. My Mom, the one who taught me, used a razor knife. She did a lot of tooling, so I always think of a swivel knife when I think leather. I also chose the mallet, as that is what Mom used , as opposed to a maul. It probably just comes down to what you do the most. Tooled items use different tools than say cut, and stitched items. I would say the most iconic item in leather working is the leather itself, a stretched out hide perhaps would be better.