Sign in to follow this  
McJeep

Toe'ing the line

Been playing around with some scraps that I have etc with some luck but not as much as I'd like ;0)

My beginner question of the day is are there any hints/tricks you folks can share for getting my tooling/stamping right up to the line I cut? I find that most of the bevelling tools are not a "sharp" edge and too many times the tool is either riding over the line (cut line shows in the bevel edge) or not quite tight enough on the line to make things pop (cut line shows just millimeters away from the actual tooling.

Fire away gurus - I'm wide open for suggestions :0)

Rob

Been playing around with some scraps that I have etc with some luck but not as much as I'd like ;0)

My beginner question of the day is are there any hints/tricks you folks can share for getting my tooling/stamping right up to the line I cut? I find that most of the bevelling tools are not a "sharp" edge and too many times the tool is either riding over the line (cut line shows in the bevel edge) or not quite tight enough on the line to make things pop (cut line shows just millimeters away from the actual tooling.

Fire away gurus - I'm wide open for suggestions :0)

Rob

Don't worry, you're in good company. The problem you're having is mostly just an issue of practicing. I would also bet that your cuts aren't deep enough, thus not allowing you to get the toe of the beveler into the cut. Try tipping your beveler toward the cut slightly and only progress about 1/3 the width of the beveler as you move along. Shallow swivel knife cuts are probably the most common mistakes made when starting out. And don't worry about speed...that comes later. Hope this helps....good luck.

Don't worry, you're in good company. The problem you're having is mostly just an issue of practicing. I would also bet that your cuts aren't deep enough, thus not allowing you to get the toe of the beveler into the cut. Try tipping your beveler toward the cut slightly and only progress about 1/3 the width of the beveler as you move along. Shallow swivel knife cuts are probably the most common mistakes made when starting out. And don't worry about speed...that comes later. Hope this helps....good luck.

I'll try that and hopefully it'll help. Speed is definitely on the back burner for now - I'm pretty anal about quality over quantity and not trying to turn this into any real going concern, just want to turn out stuff I can be proud of :0)

edited to say thanks :0)

Edited by McJeep