TwinOaks

July And August Challenge

Hi everyone!

First off, I apologize for the tardiness of this challenge. Things got pretty interesting IRL, with the day job. I've got to get my June piece posted and turn out this one too.

Since pretty much half the month is gone, I'm going to roll July's and August's challenges together. They are somewhat similar, so it works well.

Here it is: Make a 3D still life using EMBOSSING, and APPLIQUE techniques.

Embossing is the process of molding the leather so that the surface is raised....not just appears to be raised as is the case with most tooling. We'll not only be pushing the background "Back", but bringing the elements further forward than normal. This is most easily done by casing the leather and pushing it 'forward' from the back (flesh side). Cheryl has already been doing this with her pendants, and many others have done this to some extent making holsters, bags, etc., in the form of wet molding. This differs only in the extent that the design in the leather will be raised from a flat back ground, instead of having a 3D piece molded around an object.

Applique' is simply adding a separate piece to the surface of the leather. This additional piece can be a solid shape, a filigreed shape....heck just about anything.

No real limits on the tools; if you've been working along with us, then you've learned to explore each tool to it's fullest potential. Therefore, there's no reason to limit you to further point out that each tool can be used for many things. However, please keep in mind that if you tool before embossing, some of the tooling will probably be stretched out with the leather. If you tool over the embossing, you run the risk of mashing your careful stretching of the leather.......it's a catch 22 isn't it? Give it a try first and we'll cover the neat little trick behind it in a little while. Who knows, somebody might find a better way to do it!!

Please also consider adding color to your piece. Do this well, and you'll end up with a pretty nice piece of art for your wall, or to give as a gift.

I'll have my piece up in a day or two with some explanation of how I did each section.

Sounds fun. Now I have to get out that PDF on Repouse I got a while back.

I'm going to do something totally different this time Syl. I'm going to make me a leather lion out of really thin veg tanned I have, and use the 128 plate the other way, from behind with my modeling spoon and try and cover him in vines and leaves embossed. This is going to be fun, I love even my mistakes on these, LOL.

Edited by DoubleC

Not a bad idea CC. Just don't mess up your plate.

Well it seems cool in my head, but it may end up a zebra in a tree, LOL

Just wanted to put out there that this Stohlman ebook is VERY useful in learning about embossing techniques. If you're an Elite member at Tandy, you'll have gotten your $10 leathercraft library coupon a few days ago, which shaves off the majority of the cost of the book.