Hi, lovelies!

After joining the April Challenge, Cheryl asked me to step in for Q this month.

Welcome to the May Challenge; Figure Carving!

I’m going change things up a little and actually give you a choice between a few different reference photos to study and work from – A full body nude, or Anatomy (hand, foot, arm, etc.) The whole point of the challenge is to mold and manipulate the leather to fit within the contours of whatever design/ photo you’ve picked.

For example; I would take a thin (2 oz or so) piece of leather, case, cut and mold before attaching the leather to another, more thicker piece. (Photos and more detailed example to come a bit later.)

Here’s the catch; you’re only allowed certain tools to work with:

1. Swivel Knife
  2. Beveler - Be it regular or carving/smooth.
  3. Modeling Spoon/Tool
  4. Dye (If wanted) & Glue

Photos:

backstudybywatchstock.jpg

[Photo 1]

armsside6bypiratelotuss.jpg

[Photo 2 - You may pick one of the six photos.]

hands3bymjranumstock.jpg

[Photo 3]

hand009byisostocke.jpg

[Photo 4]

That's it for now, let me know of your thoughts and I'll be posting my own images tomorrow, as well as answer any questions!

~Rae.

Oh Rae I'm so excited and I have some 3oz to work with. I'll wait for more instructions tomorrow :) Cheryl

Greetings Rae,

I think I might like to participate in your May challenge....but not really sure what it entails, so I'll need to wait until at least your next posting before deciding.

Sounds like fun... Rawer!

May the fourth be with all of you today!

As I promised here's a little info on what I am going to be doing for this project, you may do whatever you wish to create your final carving. I personally love the fact that leather can be molded, so I'll be trying to create a more 3D effect with my own personal project, though you do not have to do exactly as I do.

Step One: Wetting the Leather

I have two pieces of scrap I've been playing around with for the past hour or so, one was completely submerged in a bath of water for a minute (until all the air bubbles vanished) (#1) and one I have been applying a generous amount of water every so often(#2).

The First piece of scrap was cut into, I made a simple round figure to play with.

photo33gr.jpg

While the cuts I made were deep the wet leather easily made it so I could "cover up" certain lines and push the leather surrounding the shape I've made down so it was smooth. Thus allowing me to build the middle so it takes a more rounded (3D) form.

photo34md.jpg

After I smooth over the cut lines, I started using my modeling spoon on the fleshy side of my piece of scrap to continue building the form I wanted.

photo35dr.jpg

Granted, this is all a learning process for me too. I'm just trying out new ideas that randomly pop into my head before I start on a rather large project and end up ruining it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

And remember, you don't have to get fancy with the challenge! It's stress free!!

May the fourth be with all of you today!

Tomorrow will be Revenge of the 5TH!

Rae that's cool how you are going to mold yours some too instead of just using shading for the 3D effect you're going for. And Keenan I'll be watching out for the revenge, LOL. And the Fourth has been with me all day, doing some lacing and it's coming out good for once, LOL.

Rae sorry it took me this long to get a sketch up. Feedback always welcome before I commit to leather :) Cheryl

post-27490-0-51536000-1368039670_thumb.j

Hello all, sorry I have been away lately been a pretty crazy few weeks... Will post some sketches soon....

Just gave it a try. I printed the picture, decided which lines to cut--traced those lines, as well as a couple guidelines to guide my shading. This was my first try at pictorial carving. (First time using the smooth beveler and matting tool--love the smooth beveler)

Lines cut:

IMG 20130513 215104

Beveled + some shading (using modeling tool):

IMG 20130513 221103

Pretty much done modeling:

IMG 20130513 222623

Dyed the hair black:

IMG 20130513 223231

The leather was still a bit wet when I took the pictures. I'll see how it looks all dried out. Wondering if I should apply anything to it. I'm curious how antiquing gel would work on something like this.

This was a ton of fun though. Great challenge idea.

Carson, this is great. I am so impressed, gave me more ideas for mine. I don't have it on leather yet so will use some of your ideas for mine. Great job. Cheryl

Oh my gosh! Carson - It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for joining the challenge, you did a fantastic job!

C - I love the sketch, it looks like you've gotten all the correct lines done for shading and cutting. I can't wait to see you transfer it to leather!

As for everyone else, I'm sorry I've been sorta MIA. My personal life decided to kick me in the pants so I've been dealin' with that. I'll have my sketches done by the weekend. Thanks everyone!

- Rae.

Thanks Rae, I've decided to do the piece as wall art for myself. Will start very soon. C

I decided to let my sketch do double duty for here and slc's lousy leather contest. I skived the furry back, wash it with saddle soap to get all the oiliness off and incorporated a slice into a simple border on the top and bottom. Going to hang this one on my wall :)

post-27490-0-54518600-1369511885_thumb.j

post-27490-0-39153500-1369511887_thumb.j

post-27490-0-70656000-1369511888_thumb.j

post-27490-0-08233500-1369511890_thumb.j

post-27490-0-43687700-1369511891_thumb.j

post-27490-0-54618400-1369511892_thumb.j

post-27490-0-17238500-1369511896_thumb.j

I decided to let my sketch do double duty for here and slc's lousy leather contest. I skived the furry back, wash it with saddle soap to get all the oiliness off and incorporated a slice into a simple border on the top and bottom. Going to hang this one on my wall :)

Very cool! Never seen something done like that. Is it all cut with a swivel knife? (How did you transfer the pattern?) Any beveling or stamping?

Yes, everything is cut with the swivel knife except for the rib area and the shoulder blade and the backbone contour. I reduced my drawing to 8 & 1/2 x 11 and printed it out, put it in a clear plastic folder and did the lines with my stylus. Then I just used a modeling spoon to bevel all the parts because the hands, etc. were so small and I'm not good at beveling. So I used a stylus, swivel knife and spoon :) Even the hair is swivel knifed, LOL. Thank you Carson.