Wild Bill T

Need help identifying type of leather strings

I have come across a type of leather or latigo string that I cannot find anywhere. It has a very glossy bergundy color of latigo on the grain side but the flesh side looks like regular veg tan. Thie strings are extremely thin (around 1 mm thick) and 1/4 " wide. These strings are exactly what I need for lacing up some knife scabbarts and some braiding projects. I was told it might be oil tanned latigo that was not stuffed. Any ideas or help will be much appreciated.

I have come across a type of leather or latigo string that I cannot find anywhere. It has a very glossy bergundy color of latigo on the grain side but the flesh side looks like regular veg tan. Thie strings are extremely thin (around 1 mm thick) and 1/4 " wide. These strings are exactly what I need for lacing up some knife scabbarts and some braiding projects. I was told it might be oil tanned latigo that was not stuffed. Any ideas or help will be much appreciated.

Do ya have pictures of both sides. I'm not sure how thick 1mm is but if it's real thin it might be roo I don't know just a guess. If not roo works good for lacing or braiding. It's real strong for being so thin.

Mike

Roo hide is georgous and 80percent stronger by thickness than other hides in a test mixed group.

Oil is strong too, as is old (old cow hides)

If you check my critique post you'll see very thin work too.

The pen is wrapped by

Wine red old cow 1.5mm scross by .4mm thick.

Black pig skin 1.5mm across by about .6mm thick.

The pig skin as a four strand braided cord can tie up a 60kg pack to a tree without issue, I have never even thought about it ever snapping on me.

I can't actually see your picture but thought I would chime in as best I could.