DaltonMasterson

Portable Stamping Bench?

I have been setting up at gun shows to sell holsters this last year, and enjoy the time I get to spend working on some of my projects while sitting there. I have a small piece of marble that I can do some stamping with, but the tables at most gun shows are not the best, ie. plastic tops, old plywood, etc. Definately not the best for stamping.

What I am thinking about is making a rolling stamping bench that is high enough to use with a folding metal chair. It must have wheel locks of course.

I plan on making it in 2 pieces, so that it will fit into a car easily, ie. 2 boxes of tools. The bottom box will have wheels, then I thought of doweling the corners so that the top box will fit onto the dowels, and be rigid.

I want to make it just big enough to fit a 12 x 12 marble slab from Tandy in the top of it, and then a few tool racks down inside so it is all self contained and easy to roll into the building and back out to the car.

Has anyone done anything like this, and if you did, would you post pics?

Do you foresee any trouble with this plan? (other than the wheel locks)

DM

Hi DM,

You may want to cosider a "Workmate". It's a foldable bench, that is surprising strong. You could make a top that you could lock into the workmate, that would securly hold your 12" x 12" stone.

Just an idea,,, Ed the"BearMan"

DM,never made a tool rack like that but have done similar things.I made a stand for my table saw that doubled as a sawdust collector.If I was making a tool stand I would make it out of 3/4" plywood for rigidity and put drawers for tools in the front ,flat bottom and a handle on the back.Mount two fixed casters on the back side about 1/8" off the floor and when leaned back ,your mobile, no need for locking.I set my metal bandsaw up with casters like that and its great for moving around the shop.Sorry I don't have any pics right now.I look forward to seeing what you come up with.Dave

While the workmate is sturdy, wouldn't you get a lot of bounce back when tooling?

Damon