braymond

Chaylor Fenneli Interiors

Has anyone used a chaylor fenneli wallet interior.? My main question is hoe to finish the edges and make them look smooth? Any tips and advise when using these interiors would be greatly appreciated

the ones I've seen are already finished off, all the edges bound. What more were you wanting to do to them? What do you do to your other interiors? Cheryl

Yes you are correct the interior itself has a finished edge. I guess what I meant was after you put a piece of veg tanned leather on the outside and sew the two pieces of leather together. How would you make them look as one piece? Would you put a edge coat on there or go with another method. I am trying to get ideas as these interiors are to expensive to experiment several different methods on

You won't get them to look like one piece...If you lace it (double stitch technique) instead of sew it you will cover the raw edge. I suppose you could make the cover slightly larger and slick the edge before you sew on the interior.

I skive the edges down and fold the backing piece over the interior on the sides and bottom. At the top, I've never successfully folded over the edge and into the bill slot and had the top corners look good. Therefore, I just fold the backing piece upon itself, between the interior and the veg tanned backing. That makes two layers of leather folded against each other at the top of the wallet, but the rest is folded over and looks nice. I then sew the edges.

Watch this video by Ian Atkinson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHnZE-8d9o&feature=c4-overview&list=UULkCG-505-1t0rYlgBTSnpQ

Much of it is a demo of his interiors, but at about 6 minutes or so you'll see how he folds over the edges. Good stuff.

Oh sorry braymond, I see what you mean now. I misunderstood. Yes they are expensive. I think what Russ said would work. Cheryl

Thanks for all the feed back.

Russ I took a look at the video and I think I will have to give that a try.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Russ I took a look at the video and I think I will have to give that a try.

hi, did you managed to solve the issue? i'm facing this too ((

Hey nrk

Yes I did manage to solve this issue. I would love to say I figured this out on my own but I actually had some coaching from another leather crafter. What he taught me as to make the piece you are doing your tooling on about an 1/8" larger on each side. After you glue the interior and sew it ( I use a machine, no hand sewing for me :-) ) I sand down the edges and it will fill in the gap. Then slick your edges and finish them to your liking.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions I will try to answer the best I can

Hey nrk

Yes I did manage to solve this issue. I would love to say I figured this out on my own but I actually had some coaching from another leather crafter. What he taught me as to make the piece you are doing your tooling on about an 1/8" larger on each side. After you glue the interior and sew it ( I use a machine, no hand sewing for me :-) ) I sand down the edges and it will fill in the gap. Then slick your edges and finish them to your liking.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions I will try to answer the best I can

that's good. Are you ok to share photo results?

Nrk

I looked through all of my pictures of finished work, and I don't have a good clear picture of the edges. I am currently working on a few wallets and I will try to remember to take a couple of pictures for you. Sorry