thekid77

Need To Fold Leather And Get It To Hold But...

hey friends,

I finished a card wallet (outside coated with resolene) and inside lined.....I used weldwood contact cement for the liner....

I usually make my wallets unlined and so when it comes time to wet the crease in the middle to get it to fold, there is no issue...

I forgot to crease before I put the contact cement on....not its finished and both sides are resisting water....

any suggestions? Thank you!! :D

Fold it, . . . lay it on another piece of leather, . . . put a third piece on top of it, . . . then stand a concrete block on it for a couple of days.

May God bless,

Dwight

Fold it, . . . lay it on another piece of leather, . . . put a third piece on top of it, . . . then stand a concrete block on it for a couple of days.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you Mr. Dwight, and God bless you!!

I was going to say fold it then pound it into submission with a hammer, but the concrete block idea works also... :thumbsup:

I was going to say fold it then pound it into submission with a hammer, but the concrete block idea works also... :thumbsup:

LOL Tramps....I'll try that too if it doesn't behave after the 1,000 lb concrete block I'm going to set on it hahaha

I would use a clamping system instead of piling weight on top. I have an improvised book press made with 3/4" plywood pieces that I clamp with C clamps. To press the leather, I would use a layer of thick scrap leather or some foam on each side to protect the wallet from the wood. Clamp it in there & wait. The benefit to using clamps is that you can easily change the clamping force. If you start to crack the wood, you've probably tightened the clamps too much.

Edited by byggyns

I would use a clamping system instead of piling weight on top. I have an improvised book press made with 3/4" plywood pieces that I clamp with C clamps. To press the leather, I would use a layer of thick scrap leather or some foam on each side to protect the wallet from the wood. Clamp it in there & wait. The benefit to using clamps is that you can easily change the clamping force. If you start to crack the wood, you've probably tightened the clamps too much.

Thank you byggyns, a little experimenting ahead of me lol!!!

So many steps to good leatherworking seem to involve letting it sit overnight :)

So true!!! can't b in a hurry lol

So many steps to good leatherworking seem to involve letting it sit overnight :)

I don't recollect where it came up the first time, . . . but after a similar complaint / statement, . . . someone chimed in "well, think about how many years it took the cow to make your leather in the first place".

Kinda puts the whole thing in a different perspective.

And besides that, . . . as Pops always used to say "Builds character, son".

May God bless,

Dwight