ouchmyfinger

How Do You Mix Beeswax And Paraffin ?

i have read where people are mixing beeswax and paraffin....how is this done. what are you guys pouring it into also to let cool and is it difficult to remove from the mold..any tricks

thanks

i have read where people are mixing beeswax and paraffin....how is this done. what are you guys pouring it into also to let cool and is it difficult to remove from the mold..any tricks

thanks

You can pour the molten mix in a plastic cup which is placed in cold water.

You can pour the molten mix in a plastic cup which is placed in cold water.

how are you guys melting it though, i just don't want to ruin my kitchenware or burn the wax and create a mess and waste my materials

thanks

Get a cheap saucepan from a charity shop and use that. I pour waxes into a small muffin pan to cool. The sides are tapered so it's easy to get out. Tinfoil cupcake holders also work well.

Get a cheap saucepan from a charity shop and use that. I pour waxes into a small muffin pan to cool. The sides are tapered so it's easy to get out. Tinfoil cupcake holders also work well.

when your using the saucepan do you use a super low temp, or how hot does it need to be. i don't know what to expect and i don't wanna burn the wax. how quickly should it be melting and what is a good way to mix them. do i have to stir constantly or just once..im not sure how the 2 waxes are going to react and i wanna do it right the first time if possible

thanks everyone

im gonna run to the grocery store or walgreens and pick up some paraffin now so hopefully ill have the answer n get it done tonight

Medium-low temperature, and keep an eye on it. If it starts to smoke, take it off the heat right away and let it cool then try again at about half heat.

The other way to do it is in a pot in the oven at about 90 degrees (Centigrade) but make sure you're not using one with a plastic handle!

Go down to the local Salvation Army store, . . . part with $10 for a used crock pot. Also get a wide mouth pint jar if they have one, . . . or something similar.

Put your parrafin and beeswax into the pint jar, . . . put it into the crock pot, . . . add enough water to the crock pot to float the jar about 1/2 inch off the bottom, . . . put on the lid, . . . turn it on high, . . . go get a doughnut and a cup of coffee, . . . sit on the front porch and eat the doughnut, . . . drink the coffee, . . . comment on how lovely the birds are singing today.

By then your beeswax and parrafin should be SAFELY melted, . . . just pour them into any container that is tapered out from the bottom, . . . after it cools, . . . you can usually shake it out.

This also works for mixing wax and neatsfoot oil, . . . 50/50 by weight with beeswax, . . . makes a cake of some of the lovliest leather finishing product you have ever used.

May God bless,

Dwight

For small amounts I use a chocolate fondue maker, has just the right temperature settings for melting wax. Been using it for the last few years to mix up the recipe Dwight mentioned..

Clair

Do any of you folks add neatsfoot or mink oil to the wax to make it more malleable? If so, what kinda proportions do you use?

Andrew

Look up double boilers, used for melting chocolate and wax for candles. Idea is you're not directly heating the wax but using hot water to do it so you don't run the risk of setting fire to it.