Raquel

Tool Questions

Hey good people of LW,

I just saw some C.S. Osborne, France tools on ebay. Is there such an animal? I thought C.S. Osborne started in England.

Is there a book where I can learn about the different older tools and which ones hold their value? I don’t mean just identifying older tools and how they are used (which I also would like to learn), but learning about the history of the various companies and which tools are worth paying the higher price for.

Also, considering that most older tools have some form of rust, how can I tell visually if they will be sturdy enough to be used, especially from a screen photograph, or is it a matter of caveat emptor?

Alternatively, which are the best companies presently making new leather working tools?

muchas gracias, and please forgive my rudimentary questions.

Raquel

I am NOT a tool guy, Raquel, but based on the viewers and answers thus far . . .

You might contact Bruce Johnson (http://brucejohnsonleather.com) or Bob Douglas (google him; bob douglas or sheridan leather outfitters) for information. These gentlemen specials in tools and they know their stuff. Plus they sell tools can advise you about quality. More folks may answer you here, but these men are IN THE BUSINESS, and have a large umbrella view and knowledge.

Harvey

Raquel,

CS Osborne started in the US when CS Osborne bought an existing company from Wm Dodd who bought it from Joseph English. It has always been in New Jersey, first a Newark address and now a Harrison address. I have not seen any of the Osborne tools marked with France. There are some punches marked CS Osborne and England that the supposition is were contract made by Dixon. They are nice punches.

There are or were some internet references to the different leather tool makers. Probably the most complete book is RA Salaman's book "Dictionary of Leather Working Tools, c 1700-1950" for identifying tools. Alexander Farnham also wrote two books on New Jersey tool makers and there are several leather tool makers from that area. None of these books will give you values or quality measures of the tools. Values change over time and the condition of an individual piece is a big factor.

As far as looking at a picture of an old tool or sometimes even the tools themselves and telling if they are going to be useable - experience and judgement. Even with that sometimes you get some goats with the sheep. When you are on Ebay or someone selling a storage auction find, estate sale, or auction pickup then you may know more than the seller. With those sellers everything is "vintage". Once they get past that adjective they are done. If a seller has worked leather and knows the tools, that's an advantage. I have personal favorites of the old makers. Some may be better suited for a particular person than another. Some people like one style of edger than another or person may do better with a particular size or shape knife for example.

thank you guys for taking the time to respond.

"If a seller has worked leather and knows the tools, that's an advantage"

I respectfully disagree because when they know what the tools are then they ask for more money. haha

Basically, although I have learned that McMillen, Gomph, Harrington, Rampart, Rose, Vergez-Blanchard, Dixon and Osborne/Newark are the markers of quality used tools, I still feel I am not equipped with the knowledge to know exactly what to buy from which makers and to discern when I am paying a fair price. There are tools on ebay which seem like a good deal to me, yet no one seems to be bidding on them, comparatively speaking, which makes me think I am still clueless.

Raquel

duplicate

Edited by Raquel

As mentioned above, I would recommend if you are looking for older quality tools that you stay with known quality and respectable sellers like Bruce, and Bob Douglas. I do not believe that you cannot go wrong and there are no added ebay fees.