ScreamingNorth

Product Similar To Eco Flo's Hi Lite Stains?

Hello everyone!

I love using Eco Flo's stains and antique gels (which seem to be rather similar products in my mind) because I love the rich contrast it gives the tooling. However as some of you may know, they just REALLY cut back on the line. :( Now there are only browns available. They're nice and I'll be using them, but I loved the rich blue and raisin mahogany colors, and I had wanted to try some of the other brighter tones. So I'm on the lookout for a new product I can transition over to. Eco Flo's waterstains are great and I recommend them, but they behave more like dye than stain, and don't give the nice contrast I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend a product that would be similar?

Thanks!

Fiebings makes Antique Stains which are very similar to the Tandy Stains, I like them a lot better, I used Tandy for years until I found the FIebings line.

Chief

Thanks for the tip Chief! I'll definitely try them out sometime. But they seem to only come in brown tones. I know it isn't a terribly popular opinion to use colors other than browns, tans, and mahoganies but that's what I'm struggling to find now, especially a good blue!

I was looking on the Fiebings site. Tandy doesn't sell Fiebings stains at all--only the dyes. There's still an eco-flo blue dye too, but it's nowhere near as vibrant and it doesn't give the contrast I'm after. Hmm... never used Fiebings dyes though. Do those give good contrast? Is the blue bright?

You might want to look at Angelus dyes and stains, although I don't think they have a "Antique or Highlighter" per se, they have an abundance of colors. They are spirit based dyes though (alcohol).

Chief

If you want a bright blue out of the bottle Angelus is going to be your best bet, Fiebings blue is more like navy to me. In terms of brightness for the blue dyes I've used it's been Angelus, Craftsha (water based from Japan), Fiebings then Birdsall (Australian dye).