Sign in to follow this  
jk215

Needle Shredding The Thread..why?

I recently took my machine in for a service (new bobbin case, hook, etc) and got it back and setup yesterday morning. I suppose to test they put their own needle (size 22) in my machine so when I set it back up this morning I swapped my leather point needle back in place (size 20 / #92 thread). My problem is now the needle is shredding the thread right at the hole opening. I removed and re-inserted the needle a million times also trying brand new ones and the needles that came with my machine and its the same thing. Sometimes I can complete a full line or 2 and sometimes it starts shredding right away. I made sure the long groove was to the left and double-checked my threading each time. The thread is also very difficult to pull at the end when I am removing my piece from under the presser foot. I have to use my hand to pull some slack at the top of the machine so I can get it out of there. Any insight on what I should check?

On a possibly unrelated note: I also had the needle literally get stuck in the leather and get pulled out of the needle slot 2 times while sewing 2 pieces of 2/3oz veg tan. I did have some adhesive that may not have dried completely so Im not sure I can link it to the above problem.

Take it back where the work was done with your leather needles, thread and leather. As you already paid, have them adjust the timing so you don't get thread shedding.

I had a similar problem on a machine that I purchased used. Shredded thread and skipped stitches are typically indicators that the height of the needlebar is incorrect. Most likely it's set too high so the hooked is cutting the threading rather than grabbing the loop. That or the needle bar height is way too low. Either way -- needlebar height problem I'd assume. Take it back.

What model of machine is this?

Regards, Eric

If the hook was replaced, I would suspect your hook timing is off. Vertical hook machines are the easiest to time, but unless the relationship between the needle guard and the needle is understood, they are prone to thread breakage. The fact that you changed to a smaller needle tell me that the hook is not set tight enough to the needle and the needle guard isn't set correctly. You should be able to change needle sizes by a few sizes each way without issue. Take it back as was suggested until they get it right. If you paid for a new hook and it's set wrong, it won't stay new for long.

Regards, Eric

I would also check needle. If you put on one that you previously used, it might have a nick on it and shreddin thread.