Jdbfish

Best All Around Machine?

Hello everyone, wanting opinions on what the best all around machine is. Wanting to do belts, slings, wallets, sheaths, chaps, etc. would like to get the most bang for the buck as possible on a tight budget!!!! Thanks...

Hello everyone, wanting opinions on what the best all around machine is. Wanting to do belts, slings, wallets, sheaths, chaps, etc. would like to get the most bang for the buck as possible on a tight budget!!!! Thanks...

I would suggest you read the pinned posts by wizcrafts at the top of this page. How "tight" is your budget? Unless you get lucky, one sewing machine that will do all the things you desire it to do is going to cost some real money. Unless you are experienced, I would suggest you purchase from a dealer like those at the top of the page, or a local person that can work on the machine. I have had several locals here buy a "bargain" off of Craigs List or Ebay, then bring it in wanting me to work on it for free because it won't sew or cannot do what they need it to. They have ussually ended up spending more on getting it fixed than they could have bought a good used machine from a dealer for. New is good and super good for the first time buyer. Being set up for leather sewing is the key. Hope this helps. Ken

Unless you are experienced, I would suggest you purchase from a dealer like those at the top of the page, or a local person that can work on the machine. I have had several locals here buy a "bargain" off of Craigs List or Ebay, then bring it in wanting me to work on it for free because it won't sew or cannot do what they need it to. They have usually ended up spending more on getting it fixed than they could have bought a good used machine from a dealer for.

There's a saying in Spanish that always seems so appropriate for those sorts of situations...

Lo varato sale caro. (The cheap comes out expensive)

I have shot myself in the foot many times for that exact reason more than I care to admit. Trying to be Cheapy the Cheapsakate, but ending up spending more than it would have cost for a new one, and to make things worse, the thing generally isn't as good as "the new things" I was trying to avoid spending all that money on. I can concur with avoiding the "cheapest" pitfall, it's rare that it works in your favor.

Lo varato sale caro. (The cheap comes out expensive)

Isn't that the truth!!

I've had people with 4-5 machines all some cheapies they have some $$ into & then when they find out they don't work they want to trade them in for what they paid for them & most of the times I don't want or even have a use for them.

So if your going to buy used you have to be careful.

HTH,

Bob

Look for dealers at the top of the page. Talk to each of them, and pick the one you like best, or the one that is closest, or something. Get the machine he recommends or the next grade up and PAY WHAT HE ASKS. These are the only dealers I know who equip machines and tune them for leatherwork. Leather sewing machines do not generally come up on eBay or Craig's List, they are either sold between leatherworkers or handled as trade-ins by the dealers above. Warranty is important and tech support is invaluable. Ebay won't provide you with anything that won't require work or adjustment.

Art

Thanks for the input. Found an older machine I can pick up for around$500. Have not seen it in person yet but saw a video of it sewing. Guy guarantees it to be in 100% working order. He said it was a singer saddlemaker and will sew up to 3/4" leather. What are your opinions on this?

What is the model of this machine?? Perhaps a picture or two.

Thanks for the input. Found an older machine I can pick up for around$500. Have not seen it in person yet but saw a video of it sewing. Guy guarantees it to be in 100% working order. He said it was a singer saddlemaker and will sew up to 3/4" leather. What are your opinions on this?

Given the listing of what you want to be making, I'd say avoid the antique singer 'saddle maker'. Of everything you listed, the sheaths are probably going to be the thickest, everything else is pretty thin. I'd say go with some version of a 277 machine (whether it's Consew, Cowboy, etc.). That's a medium duty, moderately high lift, triple feed machine.....and it's a cylinder arm which will come in handy for bags. OR if you definitely won't be doing anything with gussets, look at a flatbed like the 206RB, or Singer 111/112/211/212.

The big machines may have the capacity for thicker leather, but may not be able to handle smaller thread. That becomes and issue when you want to sew belts with 138, or wallets with 92 (or even 69).

I have a Champion Shoe machine (for now) and a problem I have with it is that it doesn't so so well with thread smaller than 207. Big thread is no problem, as it was designed to use it...just not small thread.

Based on what you want to do with it, I would advise getting a 441 clone from the dealer nearest you.

Where are you in the GREAT USA.

Big country! We can help better, if we know where here is, or as they say in politics,. what is....is?

1343943916[/url]' post='259013']

Where are you in the GREAT USA.

Big country! We can help better, if we know where here is, or as they say in politics,. what is....is?

Located in temple, tx about 30 miles south of Waco and50 miles north of Austin on i35

OK great. Now we know where you are.

Read the first post, that is pinned,,,,, on machines.

Then read the next ten pages on machines.

Then re-post any question you still have.

MMM....????

Define a "tight budget" in dollars, Jdbfish...

Jake

best budget machine - old and slightly tired Pfaff 345 or 335. You can recondition these with cheap chinese clone parts. I sold a good 335, bought a heap, spent a hundred bucks on bits and came out $1000 ahead with a very good machine and some knowledge about it's workings.

You do not need a 441 clone for belts, wallets, chaps etc...

A good used flatbed walking foot machine will do these jobs. We have many available and the same goes for other dealers on here. Look to spend around $800 to $1000 plus shipping.

Feel free to post any additional questions.

Thanks,

Ron

Hello JD

I use a Cobra 4 dream machine and live in San Antonio if you would like to take a short road trip bring some things you work with and try my machine maybe this will help

Robert

Hi jdbfish - not sure if you ever picked up a machine but I noticed that you said you were in Temple, TX and I thought I'd mention that I'm in Dallas and I've got a 'Consew 18' walking foot sewing machine that I'm going to be selling pretty cheap. It's a flat bed machine and comes with table, clutch motor and some extras. It works great and is in good condition. You're welcome to come up and try it out.

I blew the bank on my Union Shoe/Pearson and have never been sorry. I use an old Singer that was used in the upholstery trade for the lighter threads but seldom use it as most of my work involves the heavier leathers. Harness I do by hand.