Sign in to follow this  
charley

information on current judging/critiquing systems for evaluating leather projects

I'm collecting information on current judging/critiquing systems for evaluating leather projects. My intent is to create a report of "What's Done", followed by discussions/proposals for ideas on how to efficiently provide quality feedback to the craftsman. For example, different systems exist for the Federation, 4H, and the Boy Scouts. And, some Guilds have their own systems (I'm really interested in learning more about those.)

Of course, you can't standardize everything (and I wouldn't even want to try), but some people (like me) clearly need more guidance on seeking, receiving, and authoring critiques of our projects.

Please post links here, email addy removed for spam prevention by Johanna to any resources of which you're aware on score sheets, aspects, topics, categories, etc. For example, the Federation has categories of projects and some level of guidance on how to judge projects ... where's the most up-to-date version of that stuff?

Also, if you have thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on this topic -- I'M ALL EARS. (This topic is an interest of mine, and I'd really like to get my brain around it.)

I'm tempted to post this request on some leatherwork-specific email lists on the internet, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea (previous times when I've brought it up, I've gotten minimal response). Currently, I'm only talking about this topic here. Let me know what you think about that too.

Did I pick the right section in the Leatherworker.net forums? (Please correct me if there's a better section in this forum).

Thanks!

--charley

This is from 2003, courtesy of Ernie Wayman, Pres. IFoLG

IFoLG Guidelines

IFoLG Suggestions

(from the tips&tricks page of Leatherworker.net)

When a guild hosts a show in the IFoLG they have discretion over the rules. When a guild hosts their own show (like the one the Central Indiana Leathercrafters Guild has coming up) they set their own rules. So there is no definitive rulebook set in stone (or leather). There is some common sense stuff- like finish your edges, no ballpoint pen showing, line up your snaps etc...

Because of the training I've received from some of the best in the business, and having been a judge at Midwest Federation shows and IFoLG and a couple of State Fairs, I feel comfortable with evaluating a project. The first thing I look at is "curb appeal". Is it ugly? crooked? Then I examine the piece. Is it functional? Does it have all of the parts? By this time, I've gotten to "know" the work. Then the critical eye comes in...and this is where even the very best leatherworkers make "mistakes". And there is a gray area, too- did the maker intend to do it a certain way for a reason? Sometimes there are several ways to do something- is one more "right" than another? That's where experience comes in. If it isn't ugly, it works and you don't see unacceptable flaws (like filigree that went too far, for example) it's hard to be objective. And when you are comparing apples to oranges, and you know the makers (even though the names are covered up) you have to depend on the professionalism of the judging team. There are always a few heated discussions behind closed doors. At the show in Topeka a few years ago, a Head Judge had to mediate an angry dispute. And in the end, you are looking at a Ford and Chevy and trying to say one is better than the other. If you are judging, be prepared to defend your reasons.

I think this is a great topic, and I'm going to leave it here so it gets the maximum attention. I hope you get the answers you are looking for about the competitions. It's easier to win the game when you know the rules! Unfortunately, there aren't any hard and fast rules in the industry, unless we set the standards for ourselves. One year the IFoLG talked about making a formal guideline, but I don't know if it ever was completed. I would be glad to put one together for their approval, but I'd need help from all of you to do it. I'll discuss it with Ernie in Indianapolis this month.

Johanna

Charley,

Guess since I encouraged you to start this conversation, I should participate. There are a lot of things to look at when you judge/critique a piece of leatherwork. Johanna hit on some of them. I enjoy carving more than construction, so that is what I will start with. I came up with a list of some of the things that I look at when I look at floral carving. For figure carving, some of the things apply but I would look at it differently. I'll try and put together a list of those too. If anyone wants to add to the list or discuss anything that maybe needs clarification, I think that would be great.

Floral carving

The pattern

Is the pattern pleasing to the eye? Is it symetrical? (if it is supposed to be)

Does it have "flow"?

Tracing

Was the pattern traced correctly?

Swivel knife cuts.

Are they smooth?

Do they follow the flow of the pattern?

Do they follow the pattern lines?

Are there any flat spots where they should be curved?

Do the curves have proper flow?

Are the cuts proper depth?

Do they fade out where they need to?

Do they start and stop where they are supposed too (do they cross other lines that they shouldn't?)

Beveling

Does it follow the cut lines?

Does it fade out where the lines fade out?

Is it smooth?

Does it flatten out areas that it shouldn't? (other stems etc.)

Does it go past the cut line? Cross lines?

Is the beveling done on the proper side of the cut line?

Proper direction changes?

Cams, Veiners, Mulefoot

Do impressions face right direction?

Are they evenly spaced?

Was the tool tilted the right direction when appropriate?

Do the impressings follow the flow of the pattern?

Do the impressions stay in areas they should be in?

Fade out if appropriate?

Seeders

Spaced evenly?

Cover the area properly?

Even depth? (it's easy to hit a seeder to hard and make a really deep impression)

Stops

Used in proper area?

Follow flow of pattern?

Proper depth?

Backgrounders

Even depth?

Stays within borders?

Fills in entire area?

Fades out if appropriate? (Areas with no borders)

Decorative cuts

Enhace pattern flow?

Proper depth (start deep, fading out at end)

When multiple radiating lines, do they head towards a common end point? Proper spacing?

Charly,

I have attached a pdf of an evaluation form that Verlane Desgrange posted on another list. This is the best effort I have seen for this type of thing. Verlane has put a lot of effort into this topic so she is some one you may want to contact.

David Genadek

2_project_evaluations.pdf

2_project_evaluations.pdf

Charly,

I have attached a pdf of an evaluation form that Verlane Desgrange posted on another list. This is the best effort I have seen for this type of thing. Verlane has put a lot of effort into this topic so she is some one you may want to contact.

David Genadek

I sure wish Verlane could get onto this forum as she has so much knowledge that she could share with us all. I know I have that evaluation form printed out somewhere, and I must have memorized quite a bit of it becuase what I posted looks like it came right off her form. I agree with David, Verlane put a lot of effort into this as she does with everything she works on.

Clay

Clay,

I sure didn't mean to diminish your list in anyway because it was great too. Verlane had the cutting ,sewing and grading scale too. It is literally an outline for how to get good. So your outline is about the same it means you have done the mental work to do great leatherwork and ta-da the proof is in the pudding.

David Genadek