OldToby

Sewing Tough Leather And Suede By Machine

I am sewing using an old singer patch machine. I am stitching a normal soft leather and some suede. When I sew it together, the suede stretches as I sew it and throws off the project. I can have two pieces of leather that are the same size and when I finish stitching the line, they come out different sizes. Can anyone help? I am kind of new to this and trying to figure stuff out. Thanks for any help!

~Old Toby

Toby, when i sew two pieces of leather together i either glue them together first

or use staples to keep the leather in place. this works for me.

Hi Old Toby, i use a heavy leather stitching machine. { cobra 4 } it will sew pretty thin leather... i've practiced on suede and other thin stuff.

i use frabi-tac glue and it's wonderful. it's clear, dries quickly, and holds well. it became a good alternative to contact cement on small items.

i'm making custom leather pen sleeves for a pen making site and i use frabri-tac exclusively. it can be had at frabric stores, wal-mart, etc.

hope this helps.... rickymoo

I am sewing using an old singer patch machine. I am stitching a normal soft leather and some suede. When I sew it together, the suede stretches as I sew it and throws off the project. I can have two pieces of leather that are the same size and when I finish stitching the line, they come out different sizes. Can anyone help? I am kind of new to this and trying to figure stuff out. Thanks for any help!

~Old Toby

Toby,

This topic has been addressed here before. With some luck one should be able to find the info you seek. My answer is a simple one but I'm assuming the reader has compensated for drag and properly adjusted the pressure foot tension on there machine.

The sewing industry wide solution to the stretch problem you are describing would be to use a fusible interfacing in your seam.Pellon makes a top quality product. the draw back is the labor effort associated in applying the Pellon to your seam. the processes requires an iron resulting in a heat activated bond. there are times you may not want the Pellon to remain after the seam is sewn and you will find yourself removing it moments after installing it.

I have a simple and inexpensive substitute 1/4" masking tape . simply tape your seam, stitch, peal off the tape. no one is the wiser.

http://www.pellonideas.com/

In addition to using either rubber cement, contact cement, or a spray adhesive, I also use double sided sticky tape to secure two layers for sewing. This tape is available in industrial strength, if you look around at various suppliers. It is very useful along edges and on zippers.

I use the water based Sewing glues to piece them together... Liquid Stitch is my favorite. it is permanent and water proof! I get it from Hobby Lobby or order it from a supply house!Cat

~Old Toby

Old Toby..... i hate to say this, But.. find some one in your area of the county

that will take the Patch machine in trade, if you could find a singer 31-15 machine to do the sewing that you want to do you will be much better off... "I have been there and done that." i m h o....