Dwight

How Do You Make Spurs Clink?

In the old Westerns of days past, the cowboy strolls into the dusty bar, . . . but you hear him six or eight steps before he pushes open the double swinging saloon doors.

I know this is almost off topic, . . . but at least one of my spur strap customers has asked this question, . . . and I have no clue as to what to tell them.

Anybody out there got a real good handle on how this is done? Speaking mostly to the real cowboys, . . . but if all you got is the hat and spurs, . . . I'd like to hear from you too.

Thanks,........

Mahy God bless,

Dwight

I do a bit of blacksmithing and what I've been able to find out is.... "Some cowboys also added small metal Pajados, also known as Jingo Bobs or Jingle Bobs, near the rowel, to create a jingling sound whenever the foot moved." Also it comes to mind that a loose or larger hole than is needed would cause the rowel to move a lot on its rivet. Creating a louder tinkling sound. Another thing that I think of when it comes to sound and metal is carbon content. The higher the carbon content the more bright the sound will be. 1018 mild steel would be dull and lifeless, 1085 high carbon steel would be bright and lively.

Nail ya a thin metal horse shoe piece on your outer boot heels....ya hear da cowboys coming a mile away....I used to do that on my biker boots....that made the chicks look too....heheheee...sounds even better with the loose spur wheels and jingle bobba majingis...!!

Jimbob

Thanks, guys, . . . now to put that info into a pair of spurs with a custom strap that I can sell him,........... :clapping:

May God bless,

Dwight