Sign in to follow this  
Happy Hooligan

3 Machine Pickup And Help Identify

Just picked up 3 "Garage" fresh machines...

One, is the reason I went. I've been looking for this machine for years (at a good price) but I finally got my Singer 29-4. Complete with stand, wooden table, wood drawer and rust free and turning... It belonged to a 92 year old guy's dad... (I met the 92 year old) the serial date makes it 1898.

DSC08903.jpg

The second machine is a Singer 47WSV14 I can't seem to find out anything on this machine. Seems to date by the serial number 1911-1919 but It looks newer to me.

DSC08897.jpg

The third machine is from M.G. Sewing Chicago... it's the only thing I can see right now. Any idea's?

DSC08902.jpg

DSC08900.jpg

They are both darning machines used f/repairing clothing & etc.The second one looks like a rebadged Singer.

Bob

They are both darning machines used f/repairing clothing & etc.The second one looks like a rebadged Singer.

Bob

Thanks, the second machine is a singer, it's the third one the M.G. Sewing one that I don't know what it is...

And I haven't found out the actual 2nd one reference... I find a 47W but not a 47WSV14.... was it made specifically for something?

The SV in the model means special version where Singer made a certain # of machines for a special purpose,this style of 47 is the older style as the newer style has the tension & t/u lever on the front.

The MG machine looks like a Singer too years ago dealers would put their name on machines maybe even under that label there's a Singer sticker on it.

They never released what was different about most of the SV machines just that they were different that the standard run of machines.

On the front rightside that slotted hole is where the stitch length lever used to be.These are real old machines I think pre-1900 I have a few old 47 style with the stitch length lever but haven't seen a darner like this,there is a 47s70 darner that's on the new style casting.

The SV in the model means special version where Singer made a certain # of machines for a special purpose,this style of 47 is the older style as the newer style has the tension & t/u lever on the front.

The MG machine looks like a Singer too years ago dealers would put their name on machines maybe even under that label there's a Singer sticker on it.

They never released what was different about most of the SV machines just that they were different that the standard run of machines.

On the front rightside that slotted hole is where the stitch length lever used to be.These are real old machines I think pre-1900 I have a few old 47 style with the stitch length lever but haven't seen a darner like this,there is a 47s70 darner that's on the new style casting.

Thank you, that's great information.

I'll spend some time on these today and clean them up a bit. Looks like I have some researching to do....

Look up Singer 12W & you'll see the MG machine ,which was originally gloss black & repainted by MG

Look up Singer 12W & you'll see the MG machine ,which was originally gloss black & repainted by MG

thanks for all the help everyone.

Success on the 29-4... just cleaned it up a bit, oiled it and finally figured out how to thread that bobbin... and Success! Almost, just need to adjust the tension, but not bad results from a machine from 1898!

I'll work on the other two machines in the coming weeks...

Anyone know the right way to thread this machine? I thread it through the top pieces and then through a spring at the top but I think I'm having trouble through the tension... anyone know?

thanks!

DSC09259.jpg

I couldn't find a diagram so maybe this will help.

Bob

post-7185-073864100 1304104398_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find a diagram so maybe this will help.

Bob

thanks, I did try that but it seemed the thread was pinched a little at the top going through that spring loaded piece then a sharp bend to left around the tension disc...

I'll give it a go tonight and see if it's just how it is....

I found this old manual in my collection of a postbed that threads the same.

Bob

post-7185-070413900 1304161290_thumb.jpg

Edited by sewmun