Johanna

Working for Tandy

Working for Tandy/LF  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you work, or have you ever worked for Tandy?

• Yes.
    • No, but I want to.
    • No, and never will.
    • No, but it might be fun.
    • Yes, I used to, and I would again.
  2. 2. If you worked for Tandy, what would be your strength?

• Sales
    • Teaching
    • Business and retail skills
    • Knowing the inventory
    • Customer Service
    • other (explain)
  3. 3. Do you use Tandy as a supplier?

• Yes, all the time
    • Yes, sometimes for some things
    • Yes, only in a pinch
    • No. No way! Ha ha ha!
    • No, they don't have what I need.
    • No, they are too expensive.
    • No, quality stinks.
    • No, other reason. (explain)
  4. 4. For people who have/do work for Tandy: What do you like best about your job?

• The customers
    • Tandy higher-ups
    • Being surrounded by tools and leather
    • Sundays off
    • Working on demo projects
    • Teaching classes
    • Job benefits
    • Having the power to satisfy the customers
    • Finding out about new things first
    • Never running out of supplies at home/ free shipping
    • Knowing you're making a difference in leather land
    • Getting experience
    • Does not apply to me

This is not a thread for Tandy bashing. Like it or hate it, Tandy is THE retailer for most people who like to work with leather as a hobby. Tandy has had an enormous influence on the leatherworking psyche, as well as the materials and tools we frequently see.

I liked working for Tandy, but I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut at IFoLG shows about it. When people found out I worked for Tandy, they kinda rolled their eyes. A couple of people here have almost apologized for working there. ("Don't hold it against me!") Right or wrong, that's silly. Working for Tandy is an honest living, even if otherwise professional people want to throw rotten tomatoes at you.

I thought it would be interesting to address the elephant in the room- have you ever thought about working for Tandy?

Johanna

With me being out of work 99% of the year, if I was not a stay at home daddy, I would enjoy working at Tandy.... or any other supplier for that matter.... My tandy moved locations, and when i was finally able to get to the new location, my favorite employee was gone and replaced by some guy who had no knowledge of leather what so ever.... I was slightly mad that I missed the opportunity to work there, but I got over it quickly because I knew I would not be able to work there anyway.

Johanne,

People have loved to hate Tandy as long as I can remember. They are what they are which is an entry level supplier.

I think what people get frustrated with is that there is no clear path to progression in the craft. You are a beginner or a professional and there is no place for the seriouse hobbyist. Compare that to wood working where you can can go to home Depot and get all the woodworking equipment you want at reasonable prices to make just about anything. The fact is Tandy/LF have kept this craft alive and with out them the craft would really be hurting. It would be nice if they offered services like clicking and splitting in thier stores and broader array of products for the serouse hobbyist but I doubt the numbers are there to make it pay. We should all support and help them in building the market. I went to my local Tandy dealer (not a corporate store)and offered to teach classes for free.

David Genadek

I went to my local Tandy dealer (not a corporate store)and offered to teach classes for free.

Not a corporate store? How do you know which is which? Mine is actually a Leather Factory.... is that corporate? Why is there Tandy, and then Tandy Leather Factory?

The fact is Tandy/LF have kept this craft alive and with out them the craft would really be hurting.

You know.... you have no idea how true that statement really is... reading what you said made me realize, if i did not have a TLF here local, I would not be into leather....

I don't work for Tandy, but I teach a lacing class there once a month. It's fun, and entertaining. I would work for Tandy if I was out of work, but wouldn't be my first choice, because of pay. I know pay shouldn't be everything, but just not enough for me. I do think that Tandy has a wonderful place in the leatherworking community, and it is nice to be able to walk into a store front and put your hands on a product you plan on buying. I also agree with David that it is a great entry level supplier, and leatherworking would be in a serious slump if it wasn't for them. After all it's where I was first introduced to this great art.

Marlon

After I closed my leather shop (due to the big "D"), in the 70s, I was an asst mgr. in Boston. My future bride worked next door in American Handicrafts, My kids from the first marriage slept on the sheepskins in the back.

I was friends with the mgr of a nearby Tandy, and his son was the Boston Mgr. I was friends with a manager in the Saugus store, and he helped me get the much needed job, at the time.

I had a million connections to the leather industry in and around Salem, and Peabody Ma. and offered to the District Mgr, that I could get him better leather, at a much better price than he was getting. He said go ahead and make the deals. So...I did, and came back to him to cut the checks. He was amazed at the quality, and prices I could get, but he and the other bosses chickened out, and made me look like a jerk to my connections. But they took it in stride, knowing the Tandy guys at the time...

Such was the Tandy of the 70s...hundreds of good friends, customers, and fellow employees, but no vision. Things may have changed for the better now, I'm not sure.

I hope it never goes away though, it is THE central creator of new leatherworkers.

Johanne,

People have loved to hate Tandy as long as I can remember. They are what they are which is an entry level supplier.

I think what people get frustrated with is that there is no clear path to progression in the craft. You are a beginner or a professional and there is no place for the seriouse hobbyist. Compare that to wood working where you can can go to home Depot and get all the woodworking equipment you want at reasonable prices to make just about anything. The fact is Tandy/LF have kept this craft alive and with out them the craft would really be hurting. It would be nice if they offered services like clicking and splitting in thier stores and broader array of products for the serouse hobbyist but I doubt the numbers are there to make it pay. We should all support and help them in building the market. I went to my local Tandy dealer (not a corporate store)and offered to teach classes for free.

David Genadek

It's where I got my first in-depth experience. My manager, Barry Yeingst, was incredibly knowledgeable & helped me tremendously. In fact, most managers I've met are so willing to share their know-how. I can still learn things from them. The important thing is to ASK questions. Knowledge is Power! And they can't read your mind (if you ask for suede lace, for instance, they won't know you plan to use it to lace up saddlebags unless you tell them. They can then tell you that it's way too flimsy for that type of project)

If the (now) local(???) store wasn't almost 2 hrs away, I wouldn't mind working there again [although one of their employees lives about 1/2 hour closer than I do & drives that distance every day along the ridgetops of the Allegheny Plateau in all kinds of weather- God bless her- but she's not retired & I am].

Personally, I would love to work for Tandy. I have always wondered how one would go about doing it. Any ideas?????????

The Leather Factory was started by some ex-Tandy people before Hidecrafters was started by George Hurst. TLF (The Leather Factory) seemed more focused on wholesale accounts and volume, and they maintained warehouses/stores throughout the US. Tandy was begun in 1913 as a shoe findings company, and expanded by Charles Tandy, better known as the founder of Radio Shack, to be the only retail chain in the leather business. I got to tour the factory on Eversman Drive in Ft. Worth in 1996, and remember being amazed at how much work was done in house, and the old fashioned ways they did it. Even the machine that determined the square footage of a hide, a Rube Goldberg contraption, looked very old. Tandy had a meltdown in the late 90s, closed all of their stores, and TLF bought them, thus "Tandy Leather Factory" today. A corporate store is one with a Tandy or Leather Factory name. A dealer is another retailer who meets certain obligations in return for better prices and advertising support from Tandy. Stores operating under the Tandy name have been the first introduction to leatherworking for many American consumers. Comparing the company with other retailers I've worked for one thing stands out. Employee loyalty. The pay is okay, not great, but so what when you like your job?

Johanna

Hi Mike,

The idea was that Leather Factory stores would retain more of a "wholesale" flavor and Tandy stores would cater to the retail/hobbiest trade. In fact, The Leather Factory bought out a dieing Tandy for literally pennies on the dollar (around $2M I think) and incorporated the Tandy name/logo into theirs, immediately catapulting them from wholesale/retail into full blown retail. However, the philosophy is classic Leather Factory, which is interestingly Classic Tandy Leather of pre Tandy-everything days. Tandy's other ventures were built on the back of their leather business which was an excellent cash cow. TLF current runs under that type plan which has been successful over the years. Their one problem is controlling expenses (or NOT controlling expenses), and occasionally biting off more than they can chew. The reason the stock has declined some 50%, is I think an oversold market having to do with a ton of stock that came quickly to market in what I would consider not the greatest economic times, and maybe a slap on the hands for the Ron and Shannon show not having the foresight to control expenses.

All this can be gleaned from TLF SEC filings and public statements by Officers. Of course, this is just my opinion.

If you can look at TLF as a business of retailing goods and not as a leatherworker, TLF could be a good career move. But then you would have to deal with customers like me.

Art

Not a corporate store? How do you know which is which? Mine is actually a Leather Factory.... is that corporate? Why is there Tandy, and then Tandy Leather Factory?

You know.... you have no idea how true that statement really is... reading what you said made me realize, if i did not have a TLF here local, I would not be into leather....

I started leatherworking again earlier this year after a 40 year break. I have noticed a lot of Tandy bashing which surprised me. I have noticed the quality of there figure carving stamps is not what it was.

Be that as it may, the craft would not be where it is were it not for Tandy. The person that tought me in 1062 and everyone I have known since then that does or has ever done leatherwork, until I joined this forum, got started using Tandy tools and materials.

I can't work but, I would be interested in teaching at a Tandy Store.

Edited by Cecil

I use Tandy for odds and ends, mostly conchos. My primary materials however, I get elsewhere.

My biggest gripe with Tandy is quality. The quality of their goods is not up to other suppliers, and even at business pricing, they're usually more expensive as well.

As for the craftool stamps? After having acquired some custom stamps, and a few of the Hidecrafter high-end stamps, I'll never buy another craftool again. Quite frankly, the quality is garbage.

It's really too bad, because I like my local Tandy store manager, he's a great guy.

The Tandy here in Calgary must be run diferently than the ones in the US. This one has such a large inventory of pretty much every leather you could imagine for the hobbyist. They are EXTREMELY helpful and VERY Friendly. Granted, they do only stock the cheap tools and stamps, but that's because they are catering to the hobbyist.

I also only had to produce a business card for them to give me wholesale pricing, no tax number or business licence.

The only leather I don't buy from them is "High End" garment leather in which I make my vests from, this I get from another supplier across town. They also only needed a business card as proof for wholesale pricing.

I've also thought that it would be great to work for Tandy, just to be able to meet and communicate with others that do leatherwork.

Oh, Johanna, that Rube Goldberg contraption is actually still used today to check the accuracy of the laser machines that determine the sq. footage of leather hides. It is the most accurate of all the machines ever built to do this task. Just a laser machine is quicker.

Ken

The "Pinwheel" is still a standard leather measuring machine. Lasers are replacing them in new tanneries, but all the old tried and true places, won't spend for the "upgrade". Why fix something that ain't broke.

I liked working for Tandy, but I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut at IFoLG shows about it.

Ditto. I've expanded that to mostly keeping my mouth shut on internet boards. Yes, I work for TLF and that's all I'm saying.

peace.

I wanted to vote, but kept getting an error....I have never worked for Tandy but would in a heartbeat if it was close enough and they had an opening. Because mine is the second income, pay wouldn't matter as much. I think they would like me for my customer service, retail experience, teaching experience, and knowledge of their stock.

The person that tought me in 1062 and everyone I have known since.......

Cecil, you are older than dirt.... Keep on toolin!

I think Tandy is the Wal-Mart of the leather world.

That is a very strong statement..... not saying you are wrong, just that it is a strong statement.

But then you would have to deal with customers like me.

**shudder** That fact alone will prevent me from ever working at Tandy! ^_^

The Tandy here in Calgary must be run diferently than the ones in the US. This one has such a large inventory of pretty much every leather you could imagine for the hobbyist. They are EXTREMELY helpful and VERY Friendly.

There are good Tandys in the U.S., too! My local Tandy (the Richmond, Va. store) is well-run by very personable people who know my name and are eager to help me out. I deal exclusively with Tandy by choice. I've always been able to find top-quality leather, as long as I visit the store and look through everything to find what I want. I will definitely concede that for the money, Hidecrafters offers better stamps, and that's the only non-Tandy stuff I have in my shop. I consider myself a serious hobbyist, and Tandy suits me just fine.

I wish folks would stop apologizing for working for a good company! :)

Alex

Edited by abn

I would like to add a different point of view and that is the decline in any and all Hand Craft Hobbies whether it be leather craft, wood burning, plastic or metal model building or electronics for that matter. If you look at what happened to Tandy, and I remember the store in Baltimore, Md in the 1970s and all the supplies, kits, tools, etc. they had compared to what they have now and look at the other "hobby" industries over the last 30 years in the US and you will find that they have all declined. Since I work in the electronics industry I look around and wonder what happened to Heath Kit, or the Radio Shack kits where you could build your own radio, then later you own computer from the basic components, e.g. chips, resistors, capacitors. Go to a Radio Shack store today and almost all of their piece parts are gone and will never come back. We have grown into a "must have it now, it must be cheap, I will throw it away in less than a year because there is a new model" society.

Quality is an interesting issue when you are trying to stay in business in a very small niche market. I recently received my Uncles tools set from the 1940s and 1950s. There is one crafttool that I now have three versions of the same bevel. You can see how the tool head has grown in size over the years. I will keep three because of that size variation. Other than size, the only real difference is in the quality of the chrome plating with the 2000 version being the worst. I don't blame Tandy for that since I also ran into the same problem in restoring my wife's 1959 Triumph TR3A Roadster. To find good chrome plating today means first finding a company that still does chrome plating on metal and not on plastic. Very similar to the problem we now have with finding a tanning company in the US.

I better stop my rambling now but want to sum this all up, in MY OPINION and it is CLOUDED with my experience, If you look at what is happening to basic manufacturing industries in the US, and how we have devalued people that work with their hands (except sports figures) we are slowly losing them to foreign countries and what is left are the assembly plants, and service jobs. Time to climb down from the soap box.

Thank all of you for letting me ramble on.

I only scanned most of the answers(my head hurts) but people rolling there eyes because you work for Tandy is like giving the guy that pumps your gas a hard time for high prices. Yah, I'm from Oregon we don't pump our own gas yet.

Anyway, I think the answers to the poll might be somewhat different depending if you are a hobbyist or you do volume work or work that requires that which Tandy may not offer. I think the answers would be different between the two catagories might not give an accurate sence of the intention of the poll, but maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Like was said, a jobs a job.

I think I make more money doing what I do then do those who may look down their noses at me for it. I don't know cause I don't know anybody that gets pait to look down their nose at what I do. I gave up trying to change other peoples minds.

If I could make a good living with bennies and ret. I'd work there. :evillaugh:

GH

GH,

At my age I have to look down my nose a everyone since that is where my glasses have come to rest.

LOL

8-)

Yah, I'm from Oregon we don't pump our own gas yet.

I don't know cause I don't know anybody that gets pait to look down their nose at what I do.

Side note.... is it a state law thing? I have heard that some stated require the fuel to be pumped by "qualified" person....

I used to work as a cable contractor.... very nasty dirty work crawling under houses and up poles all day. I had a lady customer ask me once how much I made, when i told her I made over $80,000 the previous year I saw her actually falter and almost drop what she had in her hands.... It was fun...

I also meant to add that I think every one's idea about Tandy is going to be mostly based on their perception of their experience with their local store. The fella that took his 80? yo mother to Tandy and had an outstanding experience will think highly of the company.

Whereas, I may have a low opinion of the store I may go to because they may have prioreties that have more to do with making sales rather than customer service.

Same as Radio Shack. Some shops have employees that enjoy electronics and helping customers find what they need. Others just have saleman that don't care what you need and just want to sell you something. I don't expect most HAM operaters to go to RS because they don't offer what they want anymore(not that they did much).

Quality of each store is going to depend on the franchisee. So Me Thinks,, GH

Hi everyone, I've been following this for a bit and just want to add a couple of thoughts. I am far from being very good at leatherwork. I go started about 1974 because of an old fart at Mrytle Beach S.C. He was doing Mystrey Braided bracelets and wouldn't show me how to braid them. I went and learned on my own, and have loved it ever since then. He and I did become friends that lasted until he passed away about 1981. I have some Crafttools from Tandy from 1974, some that arre earlier than that, plus I buy all the new ones I can affford on my Disability checks. The quality has changed some over the years, but a lot of other things has had the quality go down too. If anyone knows where a person can get the stamping tools, that Tandy sells, that are of equal or better quality, for the price that Tandy sells the their stamps for, then where are they at. I can't find them on the interenet. The closet Tandy to me is about 65 mi., which makes it about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours away from me. shoot If I live close enough I'd work there for free just to meet other people who have the interest in leather that we/I do. As tough as it is sometimes maybe we need to be really thankful for all that Tandy Leather Co. has done for out craft over the years. I know that some of their quality is down, I also know that some of the prices are up, but with out them a lot of us can hang up doing leather work. I can't get a wholesale/resale # because of being on SS Disability and they tell me I can't even volunteer to feed a dog at the dog pound, they say if I can do that then I can do productive paying work, LOL, ain't they smart people. anyway got to go eyes are crossing, I'm gonna hug my Chihauhau and fuss at the wife. She making me eat a piece of homemade Pinapple cake with no sugar, just nutra sweet, because of my diabetes. Love her to death, she's my babe for ever. Bye for now Billy P