keplerts

Landis #3 Leather Stitcher

There is a local Amish repair shop having an auction tomorrow that is going to sell a Landis #3 Leather Stitcher. I was wondering if that is something I should consider buying (I hand sew everything right now). And also, what would be the top price I should bid on it? I haven't seen it yet but they have been using it in their shop.

Thanks,

Tom

They make a real nice stitch just like most needle & awl machines,you will pay dearly though for any parts it might need.In good decent condition it should sell for over $2,500.00.

Good Luck

Thanks, Bob! Are parts expensive because you can't get them? Or, just because it is a Landis? And, since it is in an amish shop I'm not sure how it is powered. could it be air? Treadle? They also list a "singer leather stitcher" as well. But give no other information about it.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

The parts haven't been available for years.Campbell-Randall in Texas might have some parts they can make.If you go to the auction ask where they bought this machine,Also can you get me a pic of the stand?

Thanks

Good luck with the auction. As to the powered way, I figure its either treadle power or line shaft powered. I really doubt it is electric powered, although it may be, it depends on the region on Amish. Lets us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris

Her is a pic. I'm at the auction now. They also have a singer 29-4.

Picture

I don't think I will get it.

20140222_084259.jpg

post-35680-0-17056000-1393076694_thumb.j

What no stand?

Bob,

Nope.... no stand! Just it sitting on a pallet. I didn't even see where/what it was powered by. Just the hand wheel on the right. (sorry the pic is sideways). It looked as

though it had not been used in years.

Electrathon,

Sorry.... I didn't hang around to see what it sold for. I knew I wasn't interested in it any longer. Plus I had a muzzle loader pistol holster I need to get home and finish up by HAND sewing :)

The singer 29-4 was in bad shape. And I know it won't do what I'm looking for.

Thanks for everyones input on this!

Tom